embarrassing question about periods... am I alone?

I've ALWAYS been irregular. I went on the pill at age 15 to regulate. After having my 3rd child (6 yrs ago), I got an iud (this one is good for 10 years). Well, no big shock, I was even more irregular than before. The past several months; however, it's been weird. I'm more regular as far as timing goes; but now I'll start my period for ONE DAY. It will be like a regular, medium flow period for that one day, then completely STOP. It won't be until a few days later that I'll start up again, then it's like a normal one. Light in the beginning, then build up over the next couple days to a heavy flow, then taper off. This normally lasts nearly a week. Are there any other women out there who have period "oddities" such as this? Also; for those of you in the health field; could this be a sign of something serious?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Health

• I just got the same IUD about a year ago and I have spotting for a few days and then nothing for a few days and then oh so much blood that I can barely keep up for two days and then 2-3 days of regular flow. My midwife says this is completely normal on the Praguard IUD and nothing to be worried about at all.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2009