Okay this is WAY bigger question than anyone can 100% answer , but I would like your thoughts???

I have a huge family,, each of my parents have 11 other brothers and sisters,, so that being said, the person I am talking about I haven't seen since she was about 5 years old. My second cousin (unmarried and 19) just had a baby born with down's syndrome, My mother said after 3 months of caring for her she is ready to give her up, she called me because she knows that my husband and I would consider,, the issue,,I will be 45 next week, and after much discussion with my husband we think we would do this,, but and they are big buts,,lol
I don't want to leave my son "responsible" for his sibling after we die
I really don't want any involvement from my 2nd cousin with the baby,,, for a bit of history,, I had a daughter who died at birth, and 3 miscarriages until finally (SUPRISE) I had my son at the age of 38,, would it be wise to pursue this, or should I let younger more capable people take in the kiddo? I swear I will not be offeneded!
I should add that although I am in my forties,, I most of the time "feel" 21,,lol

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 8:25 PM on Jan. 25, 2012 in Adoption

• I think you should look into what resources would be available to you. I would also think about the possibility that this baby being adopted may not be very good. I'm sure there are people out there who would adopt a baby with a disability but many want a healthy child.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 8:35 PM on Jan. 25, 2012

• My brother would look after my son if my husband I passed away (god forbid) at the same time,, but truthfully our cousin contacted him first,, (he is a doctor),, and although I know he would take care of our boy, he wouldn't touch this period,, he has even called me to tell me that I am a crazy person for even considering it,, but I still want to do it,, and my husband is on board, we have great insurance, but not to good of a nest egg, this would mean I would have to quit my job, and make more cuts, but something is telling me that if she will agree to our terms,, I must do it.
    kimigogo

Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Jan. 25, 2012

• I think you should see if she would even consider doing it on your terms, then go from there. Good luck.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 9:17 PM on Jan. 25, 2012