Could the doctor be wrong?

Monday I went in for a ultra sound and the doctor only saw a sac. NO baby,or yoke sac, just a empty sac. He said the sac looked about a 4-5 week pregnancy. He took my hcg lvl and it was 8000 and something on monday. Not sure what they were yesterday still waiting on the doctor to call back. I have been doing some research and there are a few cases where the doctor was total wrong. He wants to do a d&c next week after the next ultra sound and I am total freaked out. So has your doctor ever been wrong and told you there was no baby but there was?

Ms.MarineWife

Asked by Ms.MarineWife at 2:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Of course they can be wrong which is exactly why hes monitoring your HCG levels and doing another ultrasounds. If your levels go down then you 100% sure miscarried, if they continue to double then you did not.

Answer by gemgem at 2:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• yes they can be wrong but im sure thats why hes watching your hcg levels and doing another u/s. I went in and thought i was farther along and on the u/s the dr said there was just a sac and he thought i was only about 4weeks he had me do some blood work and come back 2 weeks later. there was baby 2 weeks later. try not to worry.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• doctors are human they too are not perfect. good luck.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• yep with this one in fact i went to er with stomach pains (uti) and the ultrasound showed dark area am 17 weeks now
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• drs can be very wrong. ive had several miscarriages n with my 2nd miscarriage my hcg level was lower then it was with my 1st miscarriage and they told me when i left the hospital that i was still pregnant...yet i had def. miscarried the 1st time.
    LnzeAnn84

Answer by LnzeAnn84 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I personally would be wary. In fact, I will forever be wary of D&C's after what happened to my friend. She had been told she miscarried and they told her they needed to do a D&C, they conducted the D&C and sometime afterward she was told that "Well.... there may have been more they could have done for the baby...." WHAT???? My friend totally blames herself, it's TERRIBLE! Another account.... the same friend finds out she's pregnant again, within a month they tell her she miscarried, they don't need to do a D&C her body's already taken care of everything. Several months later after spending a lot of time with Doctor's trying to figure out a bunch of problems she was having.... surprise.... she's pregnant.... with the baby they told her she miscarried! This was with different Doctors too!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 2:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Thanks everyone I really needed to hear good things... I was a total mess monday I couldnt eat, couldn't sleep, and cried harder then ever before. Tuesday I pretty much numbed out and slept the hole day. By wednesday I thought what if there is a baby and I am not taking care of myself. So I picked myself back up chocked down food and started my online search of women who have been threw this too. I am clinging to hope like never before and I prey all the time....
    Ms.MarineWife

Answer by Ms.MarineWife at 3:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2009