do you think 5'7" 170 lbs is fat?

i know i could stand to loose a few lbs.. who couldnt right.. but i don think im fat but i was called this the other by someone close to me (in real life) and i t made me think maybe i am.. is that fat?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Health

• It honestly depends on how you carry the weight. Meaning if you have low amounts of muscle and high amounts of fat, then yes you are over weight. I know that I personally am way over weight right now. I have been in excellent shape and the scale would tell you I wasn't. It is about size, BMI, fat percentage, not numbers on the scale.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 3:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• No, I don't consider that fat. I'm 5'4 and 160 and I don't think i'm fat. Just a little chunky.
    Anonymous

• i don't think it sounds like your fat in a doctors eyes yes they would say you are over wieght but if your happy and have a healthy diet then i think your ok the way you were people these days are so rude
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• depends on how u are carring your weight but by the Body index mass thing then yes you would be considered over weight but if you feel good about yourself dont let others put you down. who cares what everyone else thinks.
    Anonymous

• the formula for ideal body weight for women is 100lbs+5lbs for every inch over 5ft. + or - 10lbs depending on frame size. so ideal bw for someone 5 7 is around 135. I am NOT saying your fat, simply supplying a formula.
    Anonymous

• Well, I am 5'7" and 171 and yes, I am fat. I have lost 17 pounds so far and I am working to loose still another 30. I am told by some that I carry my weight well...but I just think they're are trying to be nice. According to my doctor, for my height, I am overweight. My BMI is around 28, which puts me in the overweight category. ( I was in the obese category before I lost some weight.) So to answer your question, yes I think that 170 lbs at 5'7" is fat.
    Anonymous

• I am 5'7, 168 , I was always 120-130, so im still working my butt off, but I have a lot off muscle, my dr. told me I am not considered "over weight" , I still dont know that I believe that, just talked to him last week at office visit and asked why I still weigh so much compared to my size, inches, etc... Muscle weighs more than fat...BUT , lol I still have fat to loose im not stupid, I know there still is a long way to go! Moral...its how you feel you look and a realistic view off that...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:15 AM on Jan. 17, 2009