• In the Spotlight:

I recently got a positive result for downs syndrome back from my avp screening and im waiting to go the 21st for an invasive ultrasound to check for sure signs...ive heard from a few friends/family members that its normal to have a false positive for this test. have any of you had a false positive?

LnzeAnn84

Asked by LnzeAnn84 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I just had this happen to me. my chances were 1 in 181. I had the amnio done to be sure and just got the results back today that everything is ok, and that I'm having a girl! This is very common. Try not to stress to much about it. If I would've know how common this was I wouldn't of done the test. I did a lot of research on this and found out how many women have gone thru the stress for no reason. If you want to talk just let me know! What did your dr say your numbers were?
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 3:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• No but my best friend did. They actually told her after the ultrasound her baby WAS down and she called me really upset. The dr was actually pressuring her to get an abortion. She didnt though. She had her baby in Aug and her little girl was not down.

Answer by gemgem at 3:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• People do commonly get a false positive (even with ultrasound indications). I personally refused all such tests because it didn't matter to me whether my child was going to be typical or have some type of developmental or physical disabilty. Any child is a blessing either way. Please don't let this test stress you out. It'll be ok either way, all babies are lovable.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 3:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I refused that particular test b/c of the number of false positive results....and I do not believe in abortion so if the baby had been downs I would not have done anything anyways.....

Dont let worry set in yet (I know easier said than done) Just let the rest of the testing give you more info.....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:10 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Actually, there are more false positives than actual positives with those tests. All a positive means is that you carry the genes that makes it possible to have Down's. I opted out of those tests, because I don't think it is worth all of the stress. I know TOO many people who were told that they carry the genes and then their baby was actually fine. They worried themselves SICK during the weeks between. Just sit back and relax and try not to worry too much about it honey.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 3:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• False positives are RIDICULOUSLY high in regards to this test. Srhmldndo is right about what they gauge with. They don't test whether the child has downs, the test if the child carries the genetic codes to possibly have downs.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Yes, I had a false positive, and yes, it is VERY common, which I didn't know at the time, so I was literally making myself sick, I worried so much. Please, do not worry about it. I had an amnio done and found out my son was fine, and he is a perfectly healthy, active, sometimes annoying 7 yr old. ;) Relax, everything will be fine.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 3:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I've had two false positives. I no longer take that test.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• my doc had a false pos herself .... what do they look 4 on the ultrasounds/what signs?? i know they tend to be bigger, maybe face shape?? idk i refused teh test this time around.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 4:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• my bestfriend also had a false positive, they measure the size of the head in the ultrasound and a few other things...it's not exact science. They even told her after her amnio, that there was a high likeability that her son would have DS and when he was born he was a perfectly healthy baby boy, with out any genetic malformaties.
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 5:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2009