is there a chance of my baby surviving at only 22 weeks

i am 22 weeks and the doctor has told me i have a short cervix. i have not diatated nor have i had troubles or pains. but he has put me on strict bedrest. he also told me my cervix measures a a 10cm and its suppose to be a 40cm alot of people have said they have had shorter and their baby survived. my question is will mine survive and how come i am on strick bedrest. (first pregnancy and i am very curious)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They've put you on bedrest because that's the best bet of getting that baby to hold off. They're trying to give you as much time as possible. I do know a woman who had her baby at 24 weeks, he's now 2 months old and doing pretty well, although it's been a long hard road for him. Just take it easy and follow the Doctor's orders! Try not to worry too much!
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 3:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• They want you on bedrest, so that your cervix doesn't completely thin out and start dilating. The more you're up walking around and etc, the more you will dilate if you are thinned out too much. Understand? So just listen to the doctors and stay in bed as much as possible. It IS possible for your baby to survive at this point, but the chances aren't that huge. The further along you are, the higher the chances of survival are. But it doesn't sound like you are going to go into labor at any given moment though. Just stay in the bed, except to go pee and to shower, and you'll be fine!! Oh and just to add, the cervix thinning out usually doesn't mean much. It just means it'll be easier for you to dilate. Good luck honey, and don't stress out!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 3:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• More then likely you also have a soft cervix which means you are at a greater risk for premature birth. You baby will not survive at 22 weeks. The longer the baby can stay in the better, which is why you are on bedrest. My dh had a son born at 27.5 weeks and he died at a week old. The earliest known baby to survive was around 24-25 weeks. When they are born early it isnt just that their lungs are not functioning properly, their brain is also lacking developmentally which means they can have special needs, and they are also more prone to infection. For instance my dhs son had he survived would have been severely mentally disabled and possibly deaf. He died from meningitis.

Answer by gemgem at 3:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I have been on strict bed rest since I was 4 months pregnant. I have a short cervix also known as an incompetent cervix. I am 33 weeks and dilated to 2 cm and have already had the steroid shot for the babies lungs. Just do what the doc says and don't stress. PM me and we can chat and hopefully to relieve some unneeded stress. You would be amazed at what bed rest can actually accomplish. Take it easy.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Babies have been born at 21 weeks and survived but health issues are usually included. Just follow what the dr says.
    Anonymous

• Twenty weeks is what they call a viable age. That means that if your baby was born now there is a chance that it could make it. But at this time every day is very important. If you can make it to twenty five weeks the chances for survival about double from twenty weeks. So that is why they have put you on bedrest. I have a friend that had hers at twenty four weeks and he is now over a year and doing great, but it is a very hard, long road. He was in the hopital for several months. So take good care of yourself, try not to worry and I wish you the best.
    Katieasmom

Answer by Katieasmom at 3:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• When my sister was pregnant with her daughter, she went into labor at 21 weeks. There was nothing they could do to stop it, she was too far. Heavenly died when she was born. When she was pregnant with her son, she went into labor at 20 weeks. The dr said that she had an incompatent cervix and that if they stopped the labor they could stich her cervix closed. It was a miracle that he was born, healthy and alive at 4 weeks early. I really dont think that a baby can survive at 22 weeks. Make sure you do everything the dr tells you. Good luck.
    mommie020308

Answer by mommie020308 at 3:20 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I've read that a baby can survive at 20weeks. Many well wishes to you and your little one.
    heatmac4

Answer by heatmac4 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Yes, babies are considered viable by the medical community at 21 weeks. However, it is almost certain that health complications will follow as someone else mentioned. According to several pregnancy books I've read, these health complications are usually resolved in childhood and are rarely permanent although some are.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 3:26 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Here is a survival chart my OB gave me since I am most likely going to be delivering a preemie:
    Completed Weeks of Gestation at Birth
    (Using last menstrual period) Survival
    21 weeks and less 0%
    22 weeks 0-10%*
    23 weeks 10-40%
    24 weeks 40-70%
    25 weeks 50-80%
    26 weeks 80-90%
    27 weeks >90%
    30 weeks >95%
    34 weeks >98%

JD08

Answer by JD08 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2009