My 2 month old has been having problems going #2 since she was about 3 weeks old. I've discussed her case with her Pediatrician and he has suggested Suppositories and giving her Plum juice. They work but if I stop giving her juice or doing the suppositories, she can't go poop on her own. Something is wrong, she cries in pain when she hasn't pooped in a couple of days. Has anyone else experienced this with their babies? If so, what could it possible be? Help!

Caligoodgirl

Asked by Caligoodgirl at 3:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The first thing I need to know is how she is fed. There are differences between breast and formula fed babies bowel movements.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• HAVE YOU CHANGED HER MILK BECAUSE ALL THE PEOPLE THAT I KNOW THAT IT HAS HAPPEN TO IS ALWAYS THE MILK
    LOVE88

Answer by LOVE88 at 3:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Formula or breast milk?
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I strictly breastfeed my baby and even have cut out dairy out of my own diet to no avail....she still is unable to poop on her own.
    Caligoodgirl

Answer by Caligoodgirl at 3:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I remember when my daughter was 3months,we switched her to formula,she transitioned great with no problems. But when Kenna was around 6-8months,she accidently gave her concentrated formula!
    For 3 days she COULDN'T poop.I tried the juices and all that but nothing. So I had to dilute her milk with water. and she pooped fine! Idon't know if it'll workf or you but this is what worked for me.
    Good luck!
    Adja70

Answer by Adja70 at 3:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• First, prune (or plum) juice needs to be taken everyday for chronic problems. As you've found, just treating the current bout of constipation doesn't stop the NEXT round of problems.

Second, suppositories should be used very rarely. If you use them a lot, she will lose the ability to go without them. Any laxatives (except miralax) or other medicines to "make" someone go need to be used very sparingly.

Third, open your phone book and see if you have any pediatric gastro-intestinal doctors in your area. Or ask your doctor for a referral. Or demand he do something else besides juice and suppositories.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I am using the suppositories ONLY when she has not poopd after a couple of days. The juice I need to do MORE often. I see my dr on the 21st for my babe's 2 month appt so I will demand that they do more tests at that point. When my baby does poop, it comes out like diarrhea, not hard at all and she poops a good amount. When I was giving her the juice consistently, she was going on her own but then I stopped the juice and she stopped going and I haven't changed my diet at all (except continuing to avoid dairy as recommended).
    Caligoodgirl

Answer by Caligoodgirl at 3:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I do know that EBF babies can SAFELY go up to 10 days without moving their bowels, as long as the end result is not hard, dry or pellet like. It is very common among EBF babies, I know that my son was an every 8th day pooper. I know that you think she is crying in pain from not going, but it MIGHT not be that. She might be crying for other reasons. In addition to speaking with your doctor, I'd advise you to contact your local La Leche League for advice. IMO this might just be normal.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I agree with krysta.
    Anonymous

• My son was breastfed and he was constantly constipated so my Dr recommended we give him soy milk. It may be that he cant tolerate your milk I would demand answers from your Dr.
    Anonymous