Changing dyed-black hair...

So, I've dyed my hair black for about the past 5 years... Before that I screwed around with everything from blonde to purple (my natural color is med-dark brown). Well, I'm finally sick of black hair. What I'm wondering is this - does anyone know of a bleach that'll pull black dye out? I don't have the $$$ to drop at a salon (and I'm a DIY-er when it comes to my hair)... I'd like to get it light enough to go blonde again.... Any help's appreciated!!

Kassey713

Asked by Kassey713 at 3:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• Get quick white at sallys with a 50 developer... but it will damage the hair... You can't put 50 developer on the scalp so be careful and have someone help you get it as close as you can.. I wouldn't recommend this but its better then cutting your hair all off, I guess... After that, dye your hair a dark brown to deposit some color in your hair using a 10 developer.. Believe it or not it might improve the hair a bit by depositing some color. The reason i think you should go brown is because you might not get all the black out and with a brown it will cover . ow and make sure you ask a sallys worker what base you should use once you bleach the hair...Remember to not leave in the bleach to long or it will break the hair. I would suggest bleaching it in sections and then washing that section
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 4:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Going from black or red to anything else is the hardest thing you can do with your hair. If you bleach it, you are going to have a hard time of it and you are going to have to wait a fair while before you can color it again or risk frying it. Most bleaches won't do a black, except maybe a shade or two. I hate to say it, but you may have to grow it out and cut it off.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 3:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• But also remember to not get the dry hair wet when your applying to the next section for bleaching..If it gets wet use a dryer to the section that has not been bleach.. again this is last resort... but it will work.
    lisacieslak

Answer by lisacieslak at 4:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Been ther done that. I went to get it done at a high end salon.Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• So I guess I should clarify.. I'm an EXPERIENCED DIY-er. :) :)
    And I've never even seen 50-developer.... I'm a lil scared, as the strongest I've used is 40 (and I know I can put 40 on my scalp, I've got tough skin). And as far as cutting it... It's already a chin-length bob with layers in the back, but I'm planning on cutting it into the "Victoria Beckham" bob (I like my hair short), so having to chop it is no issue either.
    Also, the plan is NOT to get me back to brown, I'd like to bleach it light enough to dye it blonde.

And I notice that the bitch that went to the "high-end salon" posted anonymously.... Good for you. Glad you can afford that bullshit. You were useless.
    :D
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 4:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• actually, that bitch might've been trying to save your hair from being screwed up, honey. with so many DIY-ers, most are asking questions because they have no idea what to do at some point..and here we are! its not necessarily the developer (40+) that should worry your scalp...its the bleach. some are made for scalp-application, and some aren't. be sure to read the label correctly, or you might end up with sores/blisters. it can be done, but its a process, and not one to be rushed or skimped on.take your sections slowly, and make sure you get plenty of product applied, or you'll end up with splotchy sections. you may have to reapply in some areas. more than likely, you'll end up with some weird shade of 'blonde', and need to tone it.if your scalp is irritated, wait a couple days before you do step2. good thing you're planning on a shorter cut, though...your hair will be roughed up, to put it mildly. good luck!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I used a 30 bleach, in stages. I'd bleach it, leave it for 2 weeks, then bleach again. of course this only works if you don't have to go anywhere for a few weeks! j/k, but the first time for me produced and ugly shade of orange, so I kept it pulled back for a awhile.
    sophiebethmom

Answer by sophiebethmom at 10:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My point with "Anonymous" was that if she had nothing helpful to add, why bother replying to the post? It's almost like she was bragging that she got it done at a salon (why else tell us that it's a "high-end" salon?).... Good for her, but I can't afford to drop $60-120 (I got "estimates" from salons) on my hair, nor can I justify spending that kind of money when I KNOW I can do it myself and rehab it (deep conditioner is my best friend)...

And I know what I'm up against as far as hair damage, that's why I keep my hair short. :) Saves the trouble of a major chop when I do decide to screw with the color like this...
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 8:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Get An Ultra Bleaching Agent Use The 40 Developer Make Sure You Put In A Red-Gold TONER (Its A Little Bottle Like 99Cents From Sally's) So Your Hair Doesn't Turn Orange.
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 10:19 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Hey, first off Im too a DIY type gal. 50 vol, thats just weird, um and going to a salon is going to be expensive, so I know why you dont want to do it there, plus they will probly just make your hair yellow or light brown, or just highlight it, which I think is annoying when you want all over color. Ive gone from black to platinum many a time, and I used Color ZAP from sallys, its awesome! id buy two boxes, and that should strip most the black out of the hair, I would recommend a bleach oil, Wella makes one you can buy at sallys too. Buy two boxes, one box has two applications, to get it a pretty blonde Id guess you would need to bleach about three times. Use wella In depth in between bleachings to rehydrate and restore the ph balance in your hair, let it rest too like at least a day or two in between bleachings... Also buy a toner in a blue-viloet color to tone the yellow out. If you have anymore questions just let me know.
    johnnybgood

Answer by johnnybgood at 3:43 PM on Nov. 17, 2009