Is constipation normal for toddler boys?

My son just turned 3 in April. He eats fruits and veggies (yes, even broccoli!) but for some reason he goes through constipated periods for the past 5 months. He eats prunes too. Could it be from something other than diet? No dramatic change in his environment either.

Kajon

Asked by Kajon at 12:33 AM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sometimes my son is constipated and he is 4! Just give your child some apple juice, that usually works for my son! I think it is normal tho cause they don't eat a full meal just when they want to eat.
    MamaTB

Answer by MamaTB at 1:42 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Constipation is normal for Toddler Boys and Girls lol, everyone goes through this even adults!
    Give your son some Apple Juice and make sure its 100% Juice with No sugar added. Also give him more water. Water is the best thing at times like this, it helps flush out everything and keep you regular. Also slow down his intake of Milk, Cheese and Ice Cream till this passes. Dairy makes constipation worse. Good Luck hun. :)
    ProudOhioMom

Answer by ProudOhioMom at 12:18 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• normal but uncomfortable give him prune juice, if he doesnt like it, mix it with other juices.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 1:39 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Thanks for your replies! Sam drinks a lot of fluids, usually water and cran/grape or cran/raspberry (100% juice no added sugar). Apple juice doesn't seem to work for him either. He doesn't care for prune juice but he eats prunes. I will try cutting back the dairy; he has cereal with milk, yogurt, and cheese on a daily basis...and now with summer...ice cream! He has gone 5 days without pooping a nugget at times!
    Kajon

Answer by Kajon at 1:36 AM on Jul. 19, 2008