Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I think I may be depressed.

Are there free counsoling centers, or is depression something i would need medication for? my ds is 7 months old but i have been depressed on and off for years but never this bad, so i know i need help but dont know where to turn

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Health

Answers (3)
  • Depending on how depressed you are will determine if you NEED medication or not. Counciling should help. If you can't afford it you might be able to go to a state, county or city counciling center. They sometimes have discounted fees for those without insurance. I used to go to one and only had to pay $27 a year (I wasn't working or married at the time). The thing that sucked about the pkace I went to is that the councilors were interns and so they changed every 6 months.

    Health insurance usually pays for psych visits. If you have it you can call them and find out what places near you accept them.

    Answer by amethystrse at 3:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

  • There should be depression hotlines. I would google it and see what comes up. Also, talk to your doc at your next appt or even your baby's ped at his next appt. There are some places that will help for free, you just have to find out how to find them in your area. No matter what, get help, don't just let it go as it could get much worse. The meds depends on if you think you need them or not. If you think you can do it without then I would suggest starting out by just talking with a councelor and see where that gets you. Good luck!

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

  • im on prozac and it saved my life

    Answer by aliciatron at 3:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.