How can I ease my anxiety on a plane?

Ugh!! Ever since I had my son 2 yrs ago, I developed a bad anxiety problem. If I get any stupid thought in my head, it can easily turn into a panic attack. Well, my dad wants me to meet him in Miami, FL for a convention for his work, and I really want to go, but I am sooo scared to be in a plane for 4 hours. I know I'm a wimp, lol.. but I am also scared I will have a panic attack and embarrass myself, or worse, decide not to continue my flight. Does anyone else have this problem, and what can I do for it? Thanks!!

workathome01

Asked by workathome01 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Travel

• Keep telling yourself that this is a normal event, people fly everyday and make it to their destination safely. Stay positive. People watch or read a book to keep your mind distracted. Can your Dr. prescribe anything to ease your anxiety?
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 4:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I know exactly how you feel. just the thought of getting on a plane makes me sick. Physically. I've had panic attacks before! But with the military, I know I have to be prepared to fly in case they send us overseas again. I've always been paranoid of flying though (Thanks mom lol), and I find the things that help me the most are reading the magazines I like, watching tv if they have the tvs in the back of the seat, eating a healthy snack (I bring healthy snacks because when I'm stressed I eat, so i will eat the whole flight lol). I would check in with the dr about getting you a very low dose prescription of adivan or valium, The dr will probably only give you 2 pills because they are addictive and can be abused, but they can give you 2 or 3. Take it right when you get on the flight, and you might sleep most of the way. Either way it will help the anxiety!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:15 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I say vodka... that solves a lot of anxiety problems...lol....

I got that way once. I was on the plane, about to take off, and I started freaking out about some retarded thought I had, and I wanted to get off like, NOW.

I know it was only once... but for me, I just turned to my kids and occupied myself with their issues. They worked as a good distraction! Get your mind off of it- and don't psych yourself up. If you worry about it this far in advance, you're garunteed to have on on the plane. Relax and focus on gettin the little man (or princess!) in his seat, quiet, occupied and still. That'll be plenty of distraction!!
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 2:25 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• your family doc should give you a valium for the plane ride.... it is fine for a once in a while thing and it will calm you down, i get it everytime i fly... otherwize i freak about the closed space, germs and about hyperventilate when landing, scares me too, same witha lotta people, very normal to get a pill for it... easier than overcoming the fear if you dont fly often enough to really need to deal wtih it.. also a logical fear.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:57 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I SECOND THAT VODKA IDEA- THOUGH SCOTH AND 7UP ARE GOOD TOO- INCASE YOU GETTING QUEAZY- LOL
    KITTYLITTLES

Answer by KITTYLITTLES at 4:54 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• lol... I was about to offer alcohol as a suggestion as well! I hate flying. I'm not sure why. I have flown several times, and I can't stand it!! I'm even driving my car from MN to CA this summer to avoid it. Unless gas prices go up again and then I will suffer through the flight,
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 5:10 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Yes u can take 2 or 3 Benedryl or generic brand 1 hour before your flight, I have anxiety and it does the trick, relaxes you.

Also if you need travel info:
    Call My Mom say Gena from CafeMom said to call her 559-321-5886
    She can get you the best Deal.....Her name is Sandra Venegas
    or email her at : theartoftravelbysandra@yahoo.com
    genav

Answer by genav at 12:38 AM on Feb. 6, 2009

• Bring something mindless and time consuming to read, In Touch Weekly is a good pic! Load your MP3 player or Ipod with relaxing but not gloomy songs, songs that make you happy and keep it on, it blurs out the sounds that might make you panic! Keep a blanket on the plane with you snuggled around you, makes you feel more secure and it bads the feel of the turbulance a bit. And close the window if that helps. Usually you're going to want a middle seat (believe it or not) because you feel more secure with a person on either side of you. Anyway these are the things that my friend who works for an airline has always told us to do if we panic. And if all else fails ask your DR for a prescription for an antianxiety med befor eyou go. Good luck! ;)
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:31 AM on Feb. 28, 2009