Meatballs without bread crumbs??

I just realized I don't have any bread crumbs and I wanted to make meatballs for dinner. Have you ever made them without? How did it taste?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• You can use any number of substitutes: crushed saltines work particularly well, and you can make your own breadcrumbs if you have a processor and some bread (just about any bread will work, french and Italian breads work especially good). Just tear into large hunks, then pulse in the processor until they reach the size you want. You can broil or toast the bread first, or do it as is.
    You can also use crushed croutons if you have them, or oatmeal, or make a panade with a couple slices of bread and some milk. Just soak the bread in the milk until soggy and add to the meat mixture.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I have made them several times without and they were fine. I cannot really tell a difference...
    SuperBamaMom

Answer by SuperBamaMom at 3:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• yes u can make toast and cush it up, or use crackers any time it work and tastes great.
    DiandraBryant07

Answer by DiandraBryant07 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• wow I didn't think of making toast.. thanks! lol
    Anonymous

• yes you can make it with out breadcrumbs you can use crackers instead or even oatmeal. you wont taste the difference its just something thats needed for binding.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 4:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i only have banana bread flavored oatmeal lol that would taste weird
    Anonymous

• I make mine with just meat, seasonings and water to bind them together.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• try rice sometime too and serve w/ mashed potatoes - one of my family's favorites
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 12:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2009