Green Beans

What is a quick, easy and tasty recipe for green beans? I need to bring a veggie side to a potluck playdate tonight and I've really been craving green beans all day but I don't just want to bring plain jane green beans. What is your recipe for a green bean side dish?

sillyt

Asked by sillyt at 4:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I par-boil them, so they still have a bite to them.. then sautee them in olive oil and a little pad a butter. I add about 3 finely chopped garlic cloves, and top them off with toasted sliced almonds. Add S+P to taste.. and if you want them to have an almost asian flavor, add 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce.. yum!
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 4:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• You can fix your plan ole green beans but add some butter or oil how ever you want if you don't already. Then get some of those yummy little potatoes and throw in there with them! Everyone loves those. Plus now the potatoes are already buttered.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I love green bean caserole, but I see you want something plain. I would sautee chopped bacon with chopped onions and minced garlic and mix together with a little pepper. Taste to see if it may need a little bit of salt, but I personally use Adobo, which is a spanish seasoning. Good luck
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 4:10 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My mother would boil them with bacon or ham pieces. Very tasty.

Answer by Bmat at 4:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Steam or parboil the beans for just a few minutes, until bright green and slightly tender-crisp. Drain well. Heat olive or avocado oil and butter in a skillet, and add thinly sliced shallots. As soon as they begin to caramelize, add the green beans. Saute, tossing often, for about 3-5 min, depending on how many you have. In the meantime, zest an orange or a lemon, then cut the fruit in half. Squeeze in the juice of one of the halves, and add the zest, tossing as you go. Saute 1 more minute. Remove from heat. Top with a flake salt, such as Murray River salt.
    You can also add slivered almonds or pine nuts while sauteing...it's good with and without.

Roasted green beans are awesome too. Just toss with olive or avocado oil, or (if you can find it) pumpkin seed oil, season with salt & pepper, rosemary, thyme, and onion or shallots, then roast at 425*f until they've reached the desired level of doneness.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• add small potatoes or cook w/ bacon, onions
    green bean casserole
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 12:57 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My friend use to make them sweet and savory by rolling up a couple bacon slices and adding some butter and a little sugar and cooking them that way. When my dad was at the firehouse they would melt 1-2 tablespoons in a pan add the green beans and lots of garlic and black pepper with a little salt. They called them fried green beans, however they were not breaded or crispy! Both are very good!
    Anonymous