I can't get my 18 month old to stay in his bed. He has been in a day bed for like 6 months. All of a sudden, like 2 nights ago, he started getting out of bed and just playing with the stuff in his room. My husband and I are trying to be consistent and patient, but I am starting to get really frustrated. Its nap time now and I just want to cry.

How do I get him to stay in bed??? He just thinks its a game.

ashleyhinck

Asked by ashleyhinck at 4:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• dont get yourself too frustrated. he may be at the age where he doesnt really need a nap. or if he still does, start taking toys out of his room, or putting them up high where he cant get them. If he has nothing to do he will be less tempted to get out of bed. If he's just not tired, then take his "naptime" as a mommy break. even if he is just in there playing, you still have time to do what you need to do. But for now I would suggest taking everything out of there until he learns that naptime is naptime
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My mothers ex husband had a daughter that used to do the same thing!!! You just have to be consistant and that is all you can really do!!!!
    Tarina92

Answer by Tarina92 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• my son used to do the same thing.. i think it is a phase they go through.. I got so tired of it too.. i mean i had to get stuff done! SO I just started putting him in his bed, telling him it was quiet time.. As long as he stayed in his room Quietly he could do whatever he wanted( i of course removed anythign dangerous) but if he opened his door he would HAVE to take a nap.. I would usually find him passed out on the floor after abotu 10 minutes! Its's that age where they want to be indepentant.. good luck!
    VictinaG

Answer by VictinaG at 4:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2009