WHEN DID YOUR BABY START SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT?

MY DAUGHTER'S 4 1/2 MONTHS OLD AND SHE STILL DOESN'T SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT. SHE'S STILL IN OUR ROOM BECAUSE I DON'T WANT HER IN MY SONS ROOM CAUSE SHE'D WAKE HIM UIP AT NIGHT. SO I WAS WONDERING DOES SHE JUST WAKE UP BECAUSE SHE KNOWS I'M IN THE ROOM OR COULD SHE NOT BE GETTING ENOUGH MILK? I AM BREAST-FEEDING TOO. THANK YOU! :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:35 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she may be hungry. do you give her cereal yet? shes old enough to get cereal now. dont think of it as you now giving her enough milk, night time is just a long time to go without eating. I would suggest give her cereal tonight and i can almost guarantee that she will sleep almost all night. also make sure when she wakes up that youre not playing with her or anything. in the middle of the night you dont even really want to talk when she wakes up. this will bore her and eventually if she wakes up at night shes going to go right back to sleep because she knows nothing good is going on. i used that technique right away and i was a lucky one,i got my daughter to sleep through the night by 3 days old
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• A little over a week ago, which is right about when we started doing his bedtime routine every night. He had been sleeping in his swing because it was the only way he would stay alseep, but one night we just stuck him in his crib and he slept all night. He's been doing it since. We do the whole bedtime routine thing every night and he sleeps from about 8 or 9pm to 7:30am. Today he slept until almost 9:30!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• my dd was like a month or two old
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Not every baby sleeps through the night . Babies (humans really) just aren't made to sleep all night sometimes.

My children started sleeping all night at ...
    Birth
    2.5 years
    6 months
    4 months
    18 months
    2.5 years
    2 months
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• YES I WAS GOING TO GIVE HER RICE CEREAL. IT'S JUST A HASSLE CAUSE I NURSE. WOULD I HAVE TO PUMP AND MIX IT? I THINK SHE'S TOO YOUNG TO USE WATER WITH THE CEREAL DON'T YOU?
    Anonymous

• i agree with Amanuhpanda.

Cereals in the evening will make her stuffed more than breastmilk/formula.

Our daughter slept through the night (from 11pm - 6am) when she was exactly 6weeks old.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• It doesn't matter if you breastfeed or formula feed - it truly has nothing to do with how much or how little she sleeps, despite the old-wives-tale to the contrary. I know lots of moms who breastfeed who have babies that sleep through the night by 3 months. And I know lots of moms who formula feed who (like me) have babies who just plain don't seem to sleep.

My daughter slept for 5 hours in a row (the offical "sleeping through the night") at around 6 months.
    She slept for about 8 hours in a row at around 8 months.
    She slept from bedtime to morning once at 10 months, didn't do it again until 12 months, and didn't do it most nights until 14 months.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Dont mix it. no need to ;)

and no, she is not too young to use water with it. She has the perfect age for it :) and its sooo much fun feeding the little one with the spoon.. lots of mess, but fun :D
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• shes really not too little for water. just make sure your getting nursery water, or distilled water. you can even hand express some milk. When i was still nursing my daughter i just used the water because it was easier for me, but its completely up to you! just make sure you make it nice and runny at first, and gradually you can make it thicker
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My daughter started sleeping through the night at about 7 weeks old. I was super lucky as I have come to realize. My friend has a son who is 6 months old, and he still wakes at least 3 times a night to eat. I didn't do anything special like give her cereal or formula at night, she just slept. My friend has tried all the tricks to get her son to sleep, and says they don't work. So, my best answer, let your baby decide when she is ready to sleep she will. I hope this was kind of helpful.
    poptarts45

Answer by poptarts45 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2009