What's your definition of materialistic?

I often see the term thrown around on here whenever a person mentions they have something nice. Example: During Christmas time there were post about what people got or were buying. But the ones that got/purchased something that some people saw is expensive, they would get bashed. Since when does having something mean a person is materialistic?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Shopping

• I believe its being materialistic if it controls your life.
    And also if you look at the name label before the price tag. To me its more important to save my family money than to have a designer label inside my cloths.
    Anonymous

• If you think having name brand whatever makes you a better person than someone who can't afford it, won't spend that kind of money on something - its materialistic. People with class don't flash what they have and act like it elevates their social level.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Ohh I like that Ginger "people with class don't flash."
    4Girls1truLove

Answer by 4Girls1truLove at 4:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• People say I'm materalistic. I just like nice things. I know when I'm able to buy the things I have and I know when I can't.

I make sure my shades and shoes match my outfit along with my pocket book and jewelery. Many people think I'm a brat and materialistic. I don't think so I just like to look cute before I walk out the door.
    At the sametime my bills are paid and my kids are well takened care. Needless to say I don't buy much name brand. Ashley Stewart is a store I live in and she is not that expensive. JMO
    Anonymous

• To me it' means being obsessed with buying things to the point of it making you broke. Some people have money and they spend it so that doesn't make them materialistic. We all have things we like to buy or collect. When it consumes you then that's when it's being materialistic.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 5:20 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I look at it as someone who is obsessed with Stuff. I capitalize Stuff because in the end that's just what it is. It's the person who has to have the newest, nicest things in order to be a step above everyone around them. It's someone who's willing to bury themselves in debt in order to outshine their friends and family while deep down looking at each and every one of them as competition. Someone who thinks owning Stuff will get them respect. There's being in a position when you can honestly afford the higher end of items and there's breaking yourself for the higher end when you can't afford it. It's the people who choose presentation over practicality. Owning nice things doesn't make someone materialistic. It's the priority it holds in one's life that has the potential to make someone materialistic.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 5:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I called my son materialistic when I heard him bragging about a shirt that cost $70 and jeans he paid $200 to own just because of the label. That would be my definition of materialism...when you feel the things you own make you a better person.
    I would rather "do" things than "have" things. Consumer goods can be lost, stolen or worn out but experiences are forever.
    LoveIsCool

Answer by LoveIsCool at 4:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I don't think wanting to look nice and buy nice things make's you materialistic at all. I like to do the same thing, but my bills are all paid and we don't have credit cards.I just think when it consumes you and that's all you care about, that is being materialistic.
    mommyqua

Answer by mommyqua at 9:22 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• materialistic means that you prefer material things over other things... ex. some women would prefer expensive jewerly over a night on the town with SO... that's materialistic.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• ME
    planchi

Answer by planchi at 8:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2009