G6-pd defiency- Have you heard of it before?

my son was diagnose with g6pd defiency. which means he doesn't have enough G6 enzymes. pretty much he has to stay away from moth balls, he can't take any antibiotics with "sulf" in it, no antimalarial meds. it can cause him to have hemolytivc anemia which makes his red blood cells burst and he can get jaundice. this is the first I ever heard of this has anyone else heard of this defiency before?

kyheavensmom

Asked by kyheavensmom at 4:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Health

• I came back to delete and rewrite so I didn't worry you about my brother, but since you've already read it I'll just leave it. They didn't know about it in our family until my brother had the problem after geting sulfa drugs, and if you avoid the things you are supposed to, your child should be fine. I checked with my son and aspirin is also on his list. We are caucasian (of northern European descent), and our form is rare and a complete absence of G6-PD. Do you remember the MASH episode where Klinger got very ill after an illness or something and nobody believed him? This was the G6-PD problem, Mediterranean version, and the closing screen on the episode talks about it. Since you are aware of the problem you can easily take precautions and your child will be fine.

Answer by Bmat at 7:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• His pediatrician also explain to me about the fava beans too. she said its hereditary mostly in males of meditterean descent, african americans. were african american. I never heard of this before in my life so thats why Im doing so much research.
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 6:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2009