Is there something wrong with my 2 year old?

He is having an absolutely terrible time with learning colors.... He never gets any of them right and we practice often. He's great with everything else. Is this a problem? Could he be color blind or just doesn't get it yet?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He sounds normal. Many kids don't learn these things before kindergarten, not because no one is teaching them but because it isn't important to them.

I agree with TickledBule. Do NOT practice. Do NOT drill. Do NOT do flashcards. Doing these things has a very good chance of killing his love of learning before he even starts school. He has at least 13 years of school ahead of him. 13 years of workbooks, flashcards, tests, getting it "right". Why do those things to him now when he still LIKES to learn?

Simply ask him to bring you the green truck. When he points to the dog, you say "Yes, that is a big brown dog. Do you see his shiny red collar?" When you are playing with playdoh or crayons, talk about the colors - that's a wonderful yellow squggle, what a big pink blob of playdoh.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:26 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• DID HE JUST TURN TWO OR IS HE OVER TWO? `mY DAUGHTER JUST TURNED TWO AND ALL SHE KNOWS IS THE COLOR RED. IF HE JUST TURNED TWO THEN THERES NO NEED TO WORRY JUST KEEP PRACTICING. BUT IF YOUR REALLY WORRIED ASK HIS DOCTOR.
    Anonymous

• my DS doesn't know his colors either but he knows other things. give her time.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• every child progresses at their own rate and just because your daughter dosen't know the colors yet it is no reason to worry just keep going over it with her and she will learn it when she is ready to just be patient
    Kagjugee

Answer by Kagjugee at 6:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Did you post this somewhere else? I swear I posted an answer.....

In a nutshell...

He's only 2 and doesn't need to know his colors.

Label, label, label. Don't do flash cards, don't "teach" don't "practice" just play. They're not just peas, they're green peas. It's not carrots, they're orange carrots.

It's a blue ball.
    ...green grass..
    ...yellow sun...

He'll catch on just by playing with him.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Sounds normal to me. My son can name all kinds of things and (i feel) is advanced for his age, but we also struggle with colors.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 7:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2009