Is there something wrong with my 2 year old?

He is having an absolutely terrible time with learning colors.... He never gets any of them right and we practice often. He's great with everything else. Is this a problem? Could he be color blind or just doesn't get it yet?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• It's fine. I just had a similar discussion with my 2 year old's speech therapist today!

It's fine that he doesn't know his colors at 2. (I was concerned because my older two knew even some of the "odd" colors by now) They actually learn them at preschool age...so there's time.

In the meantime..don't bother concentrating on one color or anything like that. Don't do flash cards, don't try to TEACH them.

Label everything. It's not just peas on his plate, it's "green peas". It's not carrots, it's "orange carrots". It's a blue ball, it's a green chair, it's a yellow light.....he'll catch on and suddenly one day he'll shock the heck out of you with "Mommy, look it's GREEN!" LOL
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• he just may not get it right now. try focusing on only one color at a time. show him blue, and only find blue things and work on it until he understands that that color is blue. once he gets it, add another color, and have him pick out blue. if he gets it correct, move on and teach another color. you may want to spend anywhere from a few minutes to a few days on only one color. if he still isnt getting it after that, then i would talk to the doctor about colorblindness. but he may just have a hard time with colors, and its no big deal
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 5:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I agree with the above post. But I wouldn't worry to much. He'll get it when he is ready.
    mommyaunt412

Answer by mommyaunt412 at 5:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• He's probably fine :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• as a teacher, i have to agree with the op, if he can learn everything else but cant get teh colors it could be color blindness, they say one in ten MEN are (another factor) a simple eye exam can tell you but he might need to be older to see.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2009