• In the Spotlight:

what do i do if baby dosent like tummy time?

my daughter dosent mind lying on her back and loves sitting up, but absolutely detests being on her belly! she used to not mind it when i layed her on my chest on her stomache, but now that dosent work either. i know her tummy time is important for building neck and arm muscles so she can eventually crawl, so what do i do? everyone just says "don't worry she'll like it eventually.." is this true?

madelyns_mom08

Asked by madelyns_mom08 at 5:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tried buying a tummy time mat?? or laying down with her on the ground? that might help :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Just keep trying it everyday... thats all you really can do. Try laying on the floor in front of her, and play with her toys too.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 5:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My guy hated tummy time until about 6 months. He loved to sit up, but put him on his tummy and he would roll over onto his back or just cry. Now I can't keep him off his tummy (he is 8 months old) :-D.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 5:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My twins never really liked it either. I just did it for very short periods of time several times a day. I'd let them whine and fuss a little bit, but I'd give in if they actually got to the point of crying. Like others said, I also had tummy toys and I got in the floor with them and got on my tummy too. I think as long as you don't avoid it completely and just keep trying she'll be fine. She can also strengthen some muscles up in an excersaucer or jumper that has dangling toys to swat at; my babies liked that much better. Also, be aware that she may sound really upset when she is trying to learn to crawl or roll over, and that is normal - she'll be happy again when she learns her new trick.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 5:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My first girl hated tummy time (i mean REALLY refused) she would lay on my chest for a while aswell that was about it. I just let her do her thing, if she didn't want tummy time then i wasn't going to force it on her to the point that she would scream about it. but if you can get a chair that reclines and recline it a little just so she has to hold her head up a little and play games with her that helps. Mine turned out just fine with out the so called tummy time, she stood up at 9 months and was walking by 10 months, never crawled. she was running when others were trying to learn to walk. unless the Docs. say she is behind in development, i wouldn't worry.
    setliff

Answer by setliff at 6:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My second one really didn't like it either. But that was during the time he was just starting to get his head up, so i think a lot of it was being mad that he couldn't get his head up and when he did, he smashed his face on the way back down. Once he got the hang of it, he was fine.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2009