How can I get my 17 year old daughter and my 16 year old niece to stop being disrespectful

lvrj31

Asked by lvrj31 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• At 16 and 17 it would be weird for them not to be disrespectful...start taking privledges away and lay down the law momma!
    Anonymous

• Just stay consistent in your rules, ground them etc. If its any consolation they do seem to get their brains back around 19. I never thought Id live through my dds teen years LOL. Shes almost 20 and has a baby and now were best friends.

Answer by gemgem at 6:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I was horrible to my mother at that age!!! but she wasnt the greatest mother either but now we get along fairly well i live 1300 miles away from her and we talk everyday we still have our issues but its nothing like it used to be..... just be patient and stay constant with rules and punishments!!! it will get better!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i was REALLY mean to my mom at that age I think it is a fase teenagers have alot more crap they have to go through I got my act together when I found out she was gonna send me to boot camp for teenagers maybe you should threten that and if she turns 18 while she is in there she will stay in the program till they see she is ready to go or maybe talk to you local PD and see if they can get them into a program.. GL!!
    pinkanfgrl

Answer by pinkanfgrl at 9:26 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I'm sorry but at that age it would be hard.. I taught my children at a very young age to respect me. I don't mean to sound rude or anything like that.. My children are 19yrs and 15yrs old.. At the age of 16 & 17 and wanting them to respect you, YOU are going to have to be stricter than you have ever been!! I mean they are almost grown.. Make them "earn" everything you "give" them.. And I mean from the clean sheets on the bed to keys to the car.. Ya know?? Good luck..
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 11:07 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I put a stop to that in my house the minute it started. When it comes out of his mouth call him/her on it that minute. Ask why did you say that? Make them think about what they are saying. yes it is a horrible age but yelling, screaming will only reinforce their behavior. I pointed out to my son that I had only a limited amount of parental responsibilities to him - health, food, a roof over his head and making sure he got through school with good grades. I get a lot of respect in my house but I don't take much crap either. I explain that to get respect from me they have to give it. When I say no to something, I explain to them why - not that I owe it to them but because I think they should understand why.
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 1:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Like everybody else on here...I was horrible to my mother. Just keep enforcing rules and punishments...be consistent and it will pass. Good luck.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 16, 2009