Anyone have personal experience and knowledge about dyslexia?

My son is 5.5 and is SMART....he is starting to read, can add, subtract small numbers....ect..ect...but he consistantly writes a few numbers and letters backwards....not all but a few. There are no other issues....is this a phase or could it be mild dyslexia...is there such a thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Health

• at 5.5 it is normal mix up some. and too young to diagnos dyslexia. it runs in my step-dad's family
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 7:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I was a classroom helper when my son was in first and second grade.  About half the class, and more boys than girls were still writing a few letters and numbers backwards, including my son.  He was reading very well though.  If your son is already starting to read, he is a very normal little boy and I would not worry at all about dyslexia.  What your son is doing is very, very common, even for children a year or two older.  He sounds very bright and doing extremely well.

FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 8:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I wanted to add this because I was trying to remember the most common numbers/letters the children had trouble with .... I want to say b, d, p, E, 3, 5, and S.  Very, very normal, as you can see these are easy to switch up.  He'll grow out of it soon.

FreeHomeBiz

Answer by FreeHomeBiz at 8:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My husband is dyslexic, and when we had kids I went to the library and looked up everything I could find on the subject. It can be heredetary, and I did find one book that was written by a dyslexic man. He stated that you CAN see some telltale signs of dyslexia before the kids ever start school. It's been so many years (oldest is now 24) but I think I might have kept some paperwork somewhere. I will try to find it and see if I have the name of this book.

PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 8:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My oldest did have slight learning disabilities, but was never diagnosed with dyslexia. They didn't have a name for her disabilities, only stating that she was borderline and the only recourse would be for her to study twice as much as the average child in order to "get it". I do agree that at 5.5 your son could be normal. One word of advice: YOU know your son better than any teacher does. You may need to research and/or fight with the system to get your child what he needs in his education.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 8:45 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• BTW, since you asked as anonymous, you will have to send me a message so I will know who to send the info to.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 8:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I have had it since I can remember i would be happy yo answer any questions u have.
    sweetie3107

Answer by sweetie3107 at 9:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I am dyslexic. And from what you are saying, he's not doing anything abnormal. I wouldn't worry. Just keep an eye on his learning for the next few years. I have an IQ of 136 and was even supposed to skip kindergarden (my mother didn't let me) then around 2nd grade I just stopped... I had trouble reading and understanding... That's really when you will be able to test for dyslexia. But I wouldn't worry now.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My daughters have it. You cant tell that young. Usually 2nd 3rd grade before they would even attempt to test for it. Its totally normal for kids his age to do reversals.
    Anonymous

• THANK YOU everyone!!! I think I may just be overworrying! Thanks though!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2009