how do i get my son tested for dyslexia?

my son has a few problems in school, and i was told it was adhd like most parents are told. but now dat he is older and i see the way he writes and how disorganized he keeps things, im wondering if it is something else. plz help if u can.

Neka_momof2

Asked by Neka_momof2 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is 7 and when he was in pre-school I was concerned about him writing backwards sometimes, the teacher said it is perfectly normal.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 5:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Most schools will not have the child tested for dyslexia until they are in 2nd grade. It is normal for kindergarten and 1st graders to still be writing their letters backwards at times. However, if you feel that this is truly the problem then go talk with the teacher and don't back down until they test him.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• You don't say how he writes, so can't consider that in my answer.

Disorganization is part of ADHD.

As for how to get him tested...call your school district special education department and voice your concerns. They can guide you where to go, or get him evaluated.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• ok i forgot to add that he is 9 years old (well on feb 14th he will be), and he is in the 3rd grade. and his writing has not gotten any better since kindergarten.
    Neka_momof2

Answer by Neka_momof2 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• you asked about dyslexia here is a link of warning signs, http://www.bartonreading.com/pdf/Dys%20warning%20signs.pdf

Not all states recognize dyslexia as a learning disability., in fact only a handful do. Dyslexia often falls under a SLD Special Learning Disability. If your state does not recognize dyslexia you may want to get him tested privately, to help create a effective IEP or 504 for him.
    mlp71

Answer by mlp71 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 19, 2010