Question for those who have quit smoking

Did you use any aids to help you thru it? I have been smoking for a LONG time. My health is at risk and I really need some advice. I have heard that Nicorette works great, I have tried the patch and that does not work for me. I also tried cold turkey which makes me turn into a raving lunatic! Help please!!

7mom1977

Asked by 7mom1977 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Health

• I did it cold turkey ... i found out i was pregnant and that was all it took for me.. The first week was hard but after that it isn't something i think about...GL
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 6:23 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I smoked from about 15yo to about 34 yo. I cut back as much as I could. Then just went "cold turkey". It was not easy but it's been around 15 years now. Never picked up another cig when I stopped. It is hard but it can be does, if your really want to stop.

Answer by louise2 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I just sort of stopped. I dunno, smoking was never a big deal to me anyway, I never was truly addicted. My last cigarette was in April 2008.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 6:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I had to stop the patch...tried it once and oh man...my heart was racing and pounding, I couldn't slow down, my head felt like it was spinning and my mind was everywhere.

I weaned myself off. It took a total of two weeks to go from a pack a day to quit.

Know how many cigarettes you smoke a day. Now, subtract one and that's all you can allow yourself the next day. Then cut one more off...if you go a day with less then that's your new number.

Say you start with 20. Day 2 is only 19. If on day 3 you only smoke 16, then that's all you get the next day, too.

It was hardest to get rid of the last three for me. lol

Oh...and there was no smoking in the house, outside only. There was no smoking allowed in the vehicles (have it detailed or clean it well yourself).

I last smoked in June 2005.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2009