Is anybody a "my life is harder than yours" type person...be honest.....

I have an aunt who does this to our WHOLE family all the time....if you say, "I stubbed my toe and have a headache", she will come back with...."well, I stubbed my toe and have a headache and I have diareah"

It goes on and on....you can NEVER "one up" her. And the part that ticks me is that her life is EASIER than the average life...she badgers her dh into doing tons of house work and such......

sorry just griping b/c I just got off the phone with her.....just wondered if anyone out there will admit to doing this....or if you know anyone like this.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• no if anything i know my life is easier than most and i am so grateful for that.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I know a few, I call them one uppers, because they always got one tragic story to top yours. As for me, i'm the opposite. I'm in the Marines and deployed to AFrica and lived there for 6 months. After seeing how they have to live. ( some have no home or clothes and have to sleep on boxes on the sidewalk. if they're lucky they'll get a spot under an old billboard to get some shade since it's about 140 in the summer). I'll never complain again.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 6:35 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i dont really try to make my story better. but i tend to always have a story similar to them and tell them " oh yea that happend to me too". and i think it kind of makes them feel like i want the attention on me and my story is better. but idk they never tell me, i jsut get that tension from them
    vadasmom

Answer by vadasmom at 6:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• LMAO my mi is that way. It makes me crazy. I just avoid her. For instance she will call and ask how things are when everyone has say the flu. I will say well everyone has the flu and doesnt feel good. She will say well I have diabetis, heart disease and I have a sinus infection. I am like uhm ok then?

Answer by gemgem at 6:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I think all of us do the " yea that happened to me, or happened to someone I know too" thing. I don't think I'm a one up 'er. I'm more of a fixer. If you're hurt, sick or sad I'm going to at least offer to help you in some way instead of making it about me. When I do the "yea that's happened... thing, it's because I am going to offer you some advice on how the problem was solved when it happened to me or someone I knew".
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 6:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Sometimes I catch myself doing that... but I don't always do it... and I kick myself in the butt when I do it. Lol
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 7:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My mom is like that....I hope I don't do that. Someone tell me if I do....LOL If I can relate, I might share, but I don't try to "one up" people.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 7:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• no. I'm happy my complaints are fewer than those of others.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I'll start by saying I had a hard life. I can't change that. I can only learn from it and move on. I know now that even if my life was hard there is always someone else out there that has had a harder life. I learn from everyones life experiences and grow from them. I feel for those who have had to experience anything like I did. I try to educate some people to make their lives better. I don't have the poor me syndrome like some. I have the poor someone syndrome. It kills me to see others have a rough life if they don't deserve it. Some people make bad decisions and end up with the short end of the stick. You can only feel sorry for them so much!! You can't help others until you've helped yourself.
    ChefBoyRDee

Answer by ChefBoyRDee at 12:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2009