If you have Mirena...

How do you like it?

I'm weighing my options for what birth control to get at my six-week checkup. I'm leaning towards the IUD, but I figured I'd ask here first. I was on the pill when I was younger to regulate my period, but I kept forgetting to take them every day (lmao). I was on the patch after that, I did quite well with it but I'm not sure if I want hormones controlling my cycle now. I also don't plan on having another baby for quite a few years.

So if you have/had the IUD, how do you like it? Do you still have to use condoms with it? (I'd think so, but I'm not sure.) Was it worth it in the end, or has it just caused trouble for you?

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 6:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Health

• my gyno is trying to get me to get it but i'm scared!! she gave me nuva ring to try which that grosses me out... but read on here before that people say its considered the abortion birth control so i don't really know how i feel about it. i'm scared to try it LOL but i've been wondering the same thing you are
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Mirena has hormones too. There's one called Paraguard that doesn't have hormones. My friend has Mirena and she likes it and seems like she's not having a hard time with side effects either.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i have mirena and haven't had any probs with it. everyone is different, but one thing that i really like is that it lasts for 5 years :D talk with your doc about all the pros and cons....or visit their website if you'd like. they even have a video you can watch. (kinda cheesy, but informative). if you do decide to get one inserted, be sure and take some midol or tylenol before you go in...it's kinda uncomfy when they insert it...in a bad cramp sorta way.
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 7:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I have it and I haven't had any problems. No, you don't need to use condoms.
    xBuriedx13

Answer by xBuriedx13 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I have it and for the most part like it. I am extremely allergic to synthetic hormones and it is the only type of BC that I have been able to use without becoming very sick. I do know some women that have had it expel itself and other not so nice things and it has made me prone to bouts of bacterial vaginosis but other than that it has been good to me.
    ta2dirishlass

Answer by ta2dirishlass at 9:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I have Mirena. You should know that there are two though. One is a 5 year that has hormones and the other is a 10 year that has no hormones just copper. I have the 5 year one and my friend has the 10 year one. We both love it. The first couple of months you will have some irregular bleeding but if you can get past it the result is wonder with rare periods which are incredibly light. You do not need to use condoms, but they are always recommended to prevent STD's.
    TrevHuntersMom

Answer by TrevHuntersMom at 10:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I have the Mirena which has hormones in it, it is a low dose and is localized to the uterus. You don't need to use any other form of birth control if you have the IUD which is great! I love my Mirena, it was one of the smartest moves I've made.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 3:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I"ve also been thinking about getting Paragard b/c it has no hormones (just copper) and lasts up to 10 years. My main worry though is if it moves out of place slightly and becomes less effective or ineffective....like how will I know if it moved??? Good luck!
    marsha78

Answer by marsha78 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2009