My 2 year old drinks A LOT!!

And it's kind of affecting my whole potty training schedule. I put him on the potty every 25 mins but I'd like to see if he can go an hour staying dry but he throws fits when I don't give him more to drink. I know, I know, I'm the boss and I do give him less water/juice and try to space the time out as much as possible but does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i am not alone! :) i know that feeling its like you just give them the cup and you turn around and they want more!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 6:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• if i would be you i would kiss my child the whole day for wanting to drink all the time :(... we kinda have to force our daughter every day the whole day to drink. i dont know why she doenst drink much, but we usually have to offer her something every 30minutes, so she will have enough during the day.

Why dont you just let him pee in his pants?! Thats part of potting training. Teach them how eeewww it is to have wet pants. i have certain times during the day when our DD will use the potty, sometimes she wont make it and pees in her pants. I will just change them and explain her that she has to tell mommy when she has to pee or poop. She usually does, just sometimes a litle too late. ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• He has peed in his pants (and pooped) and believe it or not...it doesn't phase him one bit!! When he poops he just avoids sitting down in it. But when he pees in his underwear he just keeps doing what he was doing. So that hasn't worked for us so far. But when he has on a diaper or pull up he comes & tells us that he's wet or that he pooped and his diaper needs to be changed! Now if he can tell me all that....he needs to be sitting on the potty! LOL
    We also always tell him not to wet whatever the character is on his underwear and he'll repeat it if you ask him but this hasn't worked thus far :( They are having the same trouble at school...not caring to go to the potty.
    Anonymous

• I don't really have any suggestions for you, but you may want to ask your son's doctor about possible reasons as to why your son may be drinking so much.
    mamalienat

Answer by mamalienat at 7:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My granddaughter was like that. She drank anything, water, pop, all liquids. One day I was checking my blood sugar and she asked me to check hers. It was 369. Which for a 7 year old is extremely high. Normal is 68-120. I noticed when she spent the night with me that she went to the bathroom a lot at night. All these things are signs of diabetes, and that is hereditary. I told her mother and she just blew it off. I finally insisted that she take her to the doctor. She did and now we are watching her for any more signs of diabetes. Good luck and God Bless.   pommom335grandma

POMMOM335

Answer by POMMOM335 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Have you tried practicing using a real cup with him? Try that. You sit with him and pour just a sip of water in a small dixie cup.
    Also, set a limit in your head as to how much juice you want him to have and when you've reached that point, only offer water. If he's really, truly thirsty he'll drink but if he's not he won't.
    One of my twins would drink all day long if I gave him unlimited soy milk or juice (I do water juice down). I let him have one and a half cups of milk at breakfast time and after that water only until snack time. Most of the time when he sees it's just water, he's not as thirsty as he was pretending to be.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Have you asked the ped? If he's drinking excessive amounts of fluids, there could be a medical reason.
    Anonymous

• Perhaps your son is just not ready yet. My son didn't potty train until three. I know it is difficult, but keep trying. He will be out of diapers before Kindergarten. :)
    Moogie1005

Answer by Moogie1005 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I agree with the other posts, maybe there is an underlined reason your son is drinking so much. Or if he is drinking a lot of juice maybe it is making him thirsty. I do not find that juice is as much of a thirst quencher as water is. I'm on the opposite end my son doesn't drink enough.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 4:21 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My daughter is also 2 and she used to drink A LOT. I wanted to potty train her so I started taking her cup from her at nap time and at bed time. And with the babysitters help she doesnt have as much during the day. This also helps her potty training quite a bit. Its tough to do and she still wakes up in the night crying. But I dont give in and eventually she goes back to sleep. I just learned to stand my ground
    AshleyAnn990

Answer by AshleyAnn990 at 1:02 PM on Mar. 15, 2011