This is so frustrating!!!

My daughter will nurse off me for 15 min on each side sometimes only on one side. But when she is "done" she will still seem hungry and I cant get her to take my boob anymore. But I can get her to drink a bottle. I know I shouldnt give the bottle but what amI suppose to do sometimes she just wont take my breast. Any ideas I dont want to give up breastfeeding but she just dont want to sometimes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she doesnt want it, then you cant force her too. And no, its not wrong to give the bottle when you are breastfeeding. Whoever told you that is totally wrong.

i didnt "produce" enough milk for our DD so i had to half breastfeed / half bottlefeed her. and it worked fine. When she was about 3-4 months old she didnt want the breast anymore. It kinda made me upset, but i asked my midwife and pediatrician about it. They both said its normal and there isnt really anything you can do about it. Give her the breast when she wants it, if not, then just give her a bottle.

i wish you good luck :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Thanks she is only a week old so maybe its just her getting used to it but a lot of women on her put you down if you bottle feed when you are BF.
    Anonymous

• Nurse again after 45 minutes.
    Anonymous

• Your daughter is starting to wean because of a nipple preference. STOP the bottles and she will go back to the breast. She'll act hungry for a day or two until she realizes the bottles are gone for good.
    Anonymous

• There is nothing "wrong" with giving a bottle, but it can have consequences. Because milk is made on supply and demand it is best if you can bf exclusively for the first 3-6 weeks to get your milk supply established, and for baby to learn to get good at bfing. When baby gets the bottle it is interfering with your body "learning" to make the right amount of milk. Bottle feeding uses a very different sucking. If you want to be able to breastfeed exclusively, and not have to deal with bottles long term, then it would be wise to bf exclusively for now. She needs to nurse a MINIMUM of 8-12 times in 24 hours, with newborns it is often more like 10-14. Sometimes it feels like you are nursing constantly in the beginning! Try to spend some extra time skin to skin (baby in only a diaper against your bare chest) and nurse frequently. This helps to organize sucking behavior and helps baby nurse better.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• if you are worried about the milk in general, you can pump, and bottle feed the little one breast milk... I did this for mine. pumping goes well with a little beginners learning, then once you got the pump down pat, it'll be nice for you to know you're still giving that good milk, but don't have to fuss with latching on, or not giving a full feeding.

I had my 3rd baby when my second was 14 months and was making milk for 2, pumping was perfect, since most of the time my boobs were so swelled with milk they were twice as big as the poor baby's head, which I think was alot of the problem of why I couldn't get good latch on and technique down...

hope it helps.
    stillfatmama

Answer by stillfatmama at 7:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• from my experience if she WILL nurse, nurse all day if you have to. This early in the game bottle feeding can cause nipple preference but after she has the hang of it go ahead and do bottles now and then. She is still very young. It may be hard to bring down enough milk. Try pumping a few minutes before nursing so the milk is already dropped and ready for her and she doesnt have to work as hard. My son did not have a strong enough suck to get what he needed so he started a revolt and refused to nurse period end of story. It sucks and I wish there had been a better way, BUT he was 5 weeks premature. Just keep pushing the breast and let her nurse as long as she wants on the one and if she still seems hungry offer her the other when she will take it (maybe in 15 minutes or so) keep at it your doing a great thing for your baby
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• just pump and give her a bottle. my 4m/o dd does the same thing. theres too much going on during the day so she would rather take the bottle. at nite she would rather nurse. n response to anonymous at 4:16, that is completely stupid! dont let her go hungry. give her the bottle
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• "anonymous at 4:16, that is completely stupid! dont let her go hungry. "

It's not completely stupid. It's supply and demand. The baby wants the bottle because it's an "easier" feed. If she is fed only by breast, the mother's supply will respond, usually in a matter of hours, if not a day or two. No child is going to starve in that amount of time. You're not withholding food, you're just offering it from the breast only, and not a . Eventually the baby will take only the breast. Bottles interfere with good breastfeeding habits, some babies can go back and forth, but most can't. The easiest response when a preference is being developed is to drop the bottles cold turkey. The baby WILL eat when it's hungry, it wont starve itself. It's STUPID to think that it will.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Jan. 16, 2009