Help with cloth diapers

I have considered using cloth diapers with my last child but used disposable ones instead. I am pregnant again and I want to know more about the diapers. I have a few questions about them...

1. what is the best type/brand to use?
2. what do you do with them until you get a whole load ready to wash?
3. do they come all the way clean?
4. what do you do with a dirty diaper when it is changed out in public?
5. do they leak? work just as well as a disposable?

I know it's a lot to answer, but obviously don't know much about them! Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use Bum Genius and Fuzzi Bunz. Theyre pocket diapers, meaning you just slip in a fleece or hemp insert. I love em! Yes, they come all the way clean. I typically do a cold rinse with no soap (to get poop off), but if there's no poop, I go straight to a hot wash with half a scoop of Charlie's Soap and a Downy Ball half full of vinegar (to get rid of smell, and vinegar is a natural fabric softener). Then I do another hot wash to rinse off any remaining residue. Typically, wherever you buy your cloth, you can buy a wet bag to use when you're out and about. It is waterproof and smell proof. I wash diapers every other day, and put them in a small trash pail next to the changing table until they are to be washed. I find they work better than disposables--no poopy blow-outs up the back. They leak urine down the thighs if you are not changing the diaper often enough. If you have any other ?s, pm me :~)
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• there are tons of cloth diapering groups here that will be more equipped to answer lol.

1. the brand/type depends on you. I am buying many of mine from etsy.com. WAHM's make some cute ones. AIO (all in ones) are more expensive but don't need a cover, etc. I like pocket diapers and will have some pre folds, etc, and diaper covers. buy different kinds etc, and find out which ones work.

2. many women use a trash can with a lid, and no bag, and put some water and tea tree oil in it and then throw the diapers in there. Remember, as an infant with breastfed babies you may not need to spray the poop into the toilet but with formula and as they get older you will need to spray it off in the toilet. they just throw them in there and then dump it all into the washer.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• 3. they can come all the way clean. If not, place in the sun. it's the best bleacher there is. :)

4. you can use a plastic/water proof bag to store them in public.

5. they work just as well as disposables, just need to be changed more (depending on diaper, etc).
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I used cloth on all mine. I used the pre folded johnson's and johnson's they are sold by the dozen. Anyway I had a five gallon bucket with some water and a little ivory laundry soap they would soak over night and I would do a load of diapers in the morning. dump the bucket in the washer spin it then wash as usual. Out in public I put them in a little plastic bag, As for soiled diapers just rinse them in the toilet. After doing it for a while you just get used to it. I never could stomach spending so much on something that was just going to be thrown away.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• What a lovely question!!!
    1. My mom actually made some for my sister. They look like the disposable ones but are made of cloth. They have liners that you insert (also cloth) makes cleaning easier!
    2. Rinse them out and throw in bucket (if white use bleach water, color use clorox2, dilute of course). You probably shouldn't wait for a whole load, daily works.
    3. For the most part they do, except for those really funky or dark colored poops.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 7:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• 4. In public rinse out and put in a diaper disposal bag (double bag if you like) wash when you get home.
    5. The ones my mom made did not leak. They had a layer of shower curtain in them on the outside. Yes they work just as well as disposable, cost less, and are better for diaper rash (they breath better.)

Well I hope this all helps. If anybody is interested my mom and I might make some to order (any disign that is on fabric) if we are compencated. Let me know and I will talk to her.
    Caoimhe_Oona

• good mamas are my favorite, and bum genious
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 7:17 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• The best diaper pail ever is a 5 gallon bucket with a "gama seal" lid. It twists on and no smell gets out. Use a "dry" pail. I never once rinsed a diaper or soaked in it a bucket, or used bleach. When the bucket would get full I dumped it into the washer and ran it through on cold with vinegar to rinse the diapers out. The I'd wash on hot with unscented baking soda detergent. They cane out very clean!
    Once baby started eating solids I would dump the solid waste into the toilet before putting in the bucket (the loose bf baby poop comes right out in the wash, no need to rinse!)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• oh and ditto what maggiemom said. I have never used a wet bucket, nor have I ever rinse a diaper in a toilet. Breastfed baby poop will come right out in the wash. Once the baby is on solids, the poop is more solid, and will plop right into the toilet.

I never ever use bleach or regular detergent on my diapers (bleach will slowly eat away at most fabrics. You *can* use it, but I find I don't need it. If my diapers need whitening, I add baking soda to the wash, and in the summer I line dry them. The sun is a natural antiseptic and whitener--no need for harsh chemicals next to your baby's bum!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2009