Do you get along with your MIL?

If you don't, how do you keep the peace?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• Well, she doesn't want to be a part of the family, so I guess we get along well enough...LOL.
    She moved away to another country a long time ago and comes back to the states every few years. She calls one of her five sons so he can call everyone else to let them know she is here and if they want to visit her then they have to go to her - she doesn't have the time of day to go out to them. She not only has nothing to do with her children, but her grandchildren, too. Whenever my husband goes to leave to bring the girls to visit with her he asks me to go and I tell him she's not my mother and no thank you. We leave it at that.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Yes, but I don't think I could ever live with her!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I love my MIL to death. if i could i would let her live with us. She is not the typical MIL. We have a lot in common. She treats me like her own daughter and i love her for that. No matter what problem i have, i know that i can count on her.

i never really had a bad MIL. Well my ex-bfs mother was a little "strange". she thought i wasnt good enough for her son. So i just ignored her. i said "hello" and "goodbye" to her and that was about it. if i wasnt good enough for her son, then i wasnt willing to waste my time with her. My ex-bf accepted that and told his mother to leave me alone or he would get really mad, because he loves me. (better said lovED)... hehe
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• In think we tolerate each other well, but nothing helped our relationship more than when she moved 2 states away. Otherwise when we have to be together, we make superficial chitchat. The biggest problem we have is she obviously doesn't think I'm good enough for her family, so it caused problems with DH and me when he would defend her instead of me.
    Anonymous

• I'm not crazy about mine but I'm polite to her when I'm around her out of respect to my hubby FIL and she in turn is polite to me but I know not to tell her anything to use against me later, and I keep my guard up because I know she's going to be waiting for me to mess up and tell her what a bleep bleep bleeping bleep I think she is lol
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 7:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• nope! i try to keep the peace by biting my tongue but from what ive been told that only works short term and im capable of blowing up on her soon! my mom said she always had my dad tell my gram when they didnt like something or else it would have soundedlike my mom picking at her...maybe try that
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 7:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Blah! No way!!! We have no contact with her whatsoever!
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 7:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Honestly this may seem kinda mean but i cant stand any of my inlaws they act really weird like they have no since and no respect for anybody. When my son got here in July my mom asked if she was excited he was here and she was like NO this is my 10th one my mom just looked at me like Ok what do I say. After just delivering him i was speechless! Now when me and my hubby want her to baby sit we ask nicely would you like to babysit will for a couple hrs well i guess so, i think this is rude and when we take him over there she wants to know when were gonna be back b4 we walk out the door, she really treats him bad for her to be his grandma. We found out were having another baby and mentioned the name Zackari Logan to her and she said she would not have a grandson named that her and her hubby said but head sounded better so now the hole name has been changed. So to make a very long story seem not as long I can not stand my n-laws.
    newmommy7608

Answer by newmommy7608 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I love my MIL! She is awesome!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My MIL used to smother her son when I was prego. It irratated the shit out of me. I didnt actually meet her until 3 days before I gave birth(she lives in nc us in il). But now that she met me and backed off, I love her. She is actually my back up for when my husband is being an irrational ass! Lol
    pammills352

Answer by pammills352 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2009