Is he old enough for a belt positioning carseat?

I was looking for new carseats because we want to get a second set for hubby's car. In the process I noticed that my oldest (he'll be four in two weeks) son's carseat says to only use the harness up to 40 pounds. He is about 38 or 39 now. It does tranistion into a belt positioning booster but he seems too young for that. He still fits in the harness just fine but I don't want to go against manufacturers instructions. Any advice? I can't seem to find one that has a harness past 40 pounds but he's still so young, he's just big. Help!

mamasitax2

Asked by mamasitax2 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We have a booster seat for Sam who is 3 years, 3 months and she now uses the seat belt with the booster seat. Our booster is for 30lbs - 100lbs and fits her really well.
    Tracelene

Answer by Tracelene at 7:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Apex65 is a decently priced seat and harnesses up to 65lbs.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Thanks TiccledBlue...I've been looking all day for one that harnesses higher. I must not be looking in the right places lol.
    mamasitax2

Answer by mamasitax2 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i have this same problem with my 3 yr old. she weighs 42 lbs and i noticed a couple weeks ago her seat says up to 40 lbs. i was wondering the same thing: if she's old enough for a belt positioning booster. i'm going to check out the apex65. thanks for posting this question.
    beward79

Answer by beward79 at 8:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• my son is 6 and he is in a graco nautilus 5 point harness most kids need to be bigger and older for booster with seat belt to be safe. so many people want to put kids in booters way to soon and are not properly restrained and hurt or killed in car wrecks,my son will stay harnessed till he outgrows this seat it goes to 65lbs for harness and 100lbs booster.
    Anonymous

• The Graco Nautilus is a great seat.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 12:14 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Here's a great website for the actual ages and heights they recommend for using each type of carseat:

http://www.aap.org/family/Carseatguide.htm

My daughter is 4 and she just moved into a backless booster because she'll be 5 in June, and she's gotten a little bit too big for her convertible with harness.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:54 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• we're also loving the Nautilus. Especially since it is pretty inexpensive and goes up to 65lbs harnessed and then to 100lbs as a booster and backless booster
    comom2twinboys

Answer by comom2twinboys at 2:54 AM on Jan. 16, 2009