How should I approach this situation

Ok my daughter is almost 12. She has a boyfriend that she is only allowed to speak to him on the phone of course supervised. And she is allowed to talk to him at school. I told both of them that I dont want no hugging, holding hands, or kissing. They both agreed. So now my daughter tells me today that her boyfriend kissed her on the cheeck and told her that he loved her. How should I respond? What would you do?

momof5kidz

Asked by momof5kidz at 7:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I meant cheek sorry
    momof5kidz

Answer by momof5kidz at 7:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Judging by your whole question, I would tell her that you think it's inappropriate, and she's not old enough for that behaviour. But don't make a huge deal of it, or she may just want to do it for that reason.....like the forbidden fruit or something.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• If you don't want the behaviour then stop the "dating", she is a little young in my opinion to take on that kinda responsibility.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I agree with EireLass, and want to add mention how much you appreciate her honesty.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 9:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Sit down and talk to her - about love, relationships, friendships. Ask her how she feels about him, how does SHE feel about the kiss? What does she thinks it means? She's twelve going on 20 - help her navigate her emotions rather than denying them. Talk about the difference between healthy and unhealthy relationships, the different kinds of "love" that people express...talk to her about this. Don't just ignore it, ban it or otherwise pretend she's not having emotions you don't want her to have or think she's too young to have. Have THE talk - and let her ask you the questions she's probably burning to ask.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• 12 is way too young to date
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My son had his first girlfriend at this age, I would just go over the rules again but if you make a big issue out of it it might cause more problems.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 16, 2009