no child left behind

what do you think of this law? do you think it works or do you feel that it is just away to coddle are children.

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 7:35 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Hazeldove,I think I need to clear the air. I don't agree with the "research" on social promotions. In fact most of my class made up of teachers didn't agree with the "research" still it goes on especially at the elementary level. I'm glad that you had a positive experience the second time through your class.

I think you are on to something Mancosmomma. Good teachers are under paid, overworked. We burn out in a few years and leave or move on to less stressful things.  I also think teachers/schools need more support from administration and parents.  I could go on and on.

To answer the original question, the idea behind NCLB was a good one if viewed with rose colored glasses. However the implementation isn't realistic. I don't think it coddles students I think it handicaps schools.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• the reason that i asked this question is because i have a step son that has failed all of his classes since first grade and they just letting him move to the next grade, he is now in seventh.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 7:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• NCLB is a joke
    Anonymous

• i think its a bad law.... children are not learning what they need yet they are still being passed thru to the next grade.. happened to my little brother.... it's only making it harder on them.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• The public school system is a huge failure, ie: our children vs. are children
    Anonymous

• In theory it is a great idea but in reality it is crap. NCLB is also called No Teacher left standing and No Principal left employeed.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• If they actually applied it properly I could see it working... rather than just let the children skip ahead, they need to focus on a talent that each of these kids have individually and set them up into training programs so they can learn a really good job trade to help them get and keep a decent job.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• If they actually applied it properly I could see it working...

I agree. Initially this was a great concept. The problem? Too many politicians got involved and it evolved into a poor measurement of the US education system based on std testing. But, it was a system that was tried. And had it been implemented properly. Again, imo, who knows?  it is an Accountability issue that gets passed on like a domino effect with no one able to step up and reform. In it's first 4 years, urban schools were showing slight improvement. Standardized testing refocused teaching priorities for teacher retainability. There is little incentive for High ratings, leaving most of the reaction to be discipline for poor ratings. A decent analysis (imo): http://www.k12.wa.us/Communications/pressreleases2008/AYP/NCLBreauthorizationwhitepaper.pdf

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• That being said, I also think the Federal Government should stay out of establishing the rules of Education and allow states and local officials and parents determine what is best for the students. Parental Accountability and Involvement yields the best students, no matter the program, imo.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Kids should go to school to learn more than just how to pass a standardized test. I hate what NCLB has made our schools into. It's just sad.
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2009