How to train a beagle???? im begining to think the dog is plain stupid. but really hope not

ok so the dog is not mine, its my sisters and i have been staying with my sis for the past 3months, she got the dog 10months ago yet it is still not house broken. i had a puggle who seemed to easy to train compared to this beagle. the dog goes out every morning for a few hours and then is let in at lunch time and fed but once she comes into the house she pees and sometimes even poos. this has been going on before i moved in and still is goin on. my sis rarely walks the dog or spends much time with it, is it something to do with that?? i feel sorry for the dog but i am moving out soon so dnt want to get attached to it or start lookin after it for my sis but i want to help her by telling her how to get it to stop doin this, i told her how i did it with my dog but that didn work, anyone have any ideas???

otoole

Asked by otoole at 7:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2012 in Pets

• Like with the newspaper if he poops inside place the poop outside where you want him to go. Take him to the spot and give a command like "go potty" or "go poo" When he does go out side make a huge deal out of it. Get excited and say "good potty" or "good poo" whatever the command is that way he makes the connection. Then give a treat.  If he doesn't go outside then when he comes in put him in his crate. Anytime he is out of the crate keep an eye on him at all times. When you see him going to the spot where he pees/poops then get his attention and take him out. Anytime you are too busy doing something(housework, kids) to keep your eye on him then he should be in his crate.

Shaylyn318

Answer by Shaylyn318 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 29, 2012

• One more thought - if he pees on the newspaper try placing that outside. Maybe he will smell that scent and then know to go outside.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:23 AM on Jan. 29, 2012

• I agree with the above response in that the dog will continue to pee in that same spot getting rid of the smell may help rid the dog not to do it again. Another suggestion while training confine the dog to one room instead of the full range of the house. Put down newspaper if needed so at least he will know to use the paper instead of the floor. Always praise the dog if he goes outside. Try and set a schedule each time to let the dog out so he will get used to that. Of course the longer he gets away with doing this inside the home it will be that much harder to break. I hope you can get him trained...Good Luck
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2012

• The dog hasn't been taught that outside is for going potty. Take him on a leash outside before letting him inside. As soon as he goes, give him a reward. My dogs recognize "go bathroom." They often come inside after playing outside and ask to go back out. Sounds like the dog is distracted and playing outside. Also, dogs need to be let out right after eating. If she is too busy to even give the dog attention, she should find another home for him.
    momofkids

Answer by momofkids at 9:17 AM on Jan. 29, 2012

• Dogs use their well defined senses. The dog will keep going back to same spot. Your Pet Store might have something to get rid of the smell in your house.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 8:05 AM on Jan. 29, 2012

• It took awhile to train our beagle. I bought a book about beagles from PetSmart. This helped a lot with the training, IMO. I would recommend finding a book.

It didn't take as long as it seems to be with your sisters' dog. Sounds like inconsistent training. When trained right, a beagle will sit by whatever door you take them out to use the bathroom. A beagle needs to be walked, or at least have a big yard to run free on a zip-line.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:54 AM on Jan. 29, 2012

• Places like Petco and PetSmart have in house dog training. Check them out. Check out local shelters to see if they have training programs.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 10:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2012

• The key here is be consistent! Same time to go out every day!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:05 PM on Jan. 29, 2012

• They are very trainable dogs. I have three Beagles!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:16 PM on Jan. 29, 2012