how do I stop breastfeeding?

Ive tried different methods and they are all so painful..I get clogged milk ducts.. Not sure what to do any ideas??

Jasesmommee

Asked by Jasesmommee at 7:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the only thing you can do it just stop breastfeeding...they will get full and will dry up but it does take some time and pain too
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• well i was going to try to breast this next baby is it that bad?
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i have heard cutting out one feeding at a time is the best way to do it. I hear ya though. I stopped cold turkey and my breasts hurt so bad i couldnt even hold my baby for 3 days OUCH :(
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Drop one feeding per week until done.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Wyattsmom...it's usually not bad if you let the child lead the weaning. If you must wean before child is ready to, then gradual is the way to go. Cold turkey hurts (i've heard) and can increase the likelihood of infection.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• The pain is your body's way of reminding you what is best for your baby / child. The pain is something if you decide not to breastfeed that you have to deal with. The consequences from the 'choice' of not breastfeeding are real and not only effect baby (even though baby is effected the most).

Anonymous

• This is the 0-12 month old section.
    Your baby is too young to be weaned, both physically and developmentally.
    The WHO recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years.

There are so many benefits to BFing past a year-
    Toddlers have tantrums. That's a fact. Breastfeeding is a great comfort for them when they feel frustrated, angry, or scared.
    Furthermore, toddlers can be very picky eaters. Breastmilk makes up for those nutritional gaps when they don't want to eat.
    Your baby isn't even a toddler yet!!

Don't forget it is flu season- why would you take away your baby's best chance at staying well in the middle of winter?

Shame on any mother who gives you weaning tips. Ask again at age 2.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 8:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Wyatt'smom- NO!!! There is nothing bad about breastfeeding!!!!! It is an amazing and wonderful experience!! Cafemom is just a poor place to hang out as a new mother because other moms give their $0.02 in on everything.. I don't know where moms get the idea that they "need" to wean their babies- especially before a year old, but it is BAD advice to pass on to another mom!!!!!
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 9:03 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Lioyness should really take her own advice and quit giving her 2 cents!!!! This is a question on weaning not preaching on why to BF!!! You have to do what's right for your family and if stopping breastfeeding is it....then good for you for even trying to breastfeed. I breastfeed but not for a full two years. I do it till I feel like I can't anymore. It's a personal choice and both my kids will be happy healthy kids! If it were me you should just cut off cold turkey, then no hubby touching the boobs for a month, tight sports bra or ace bandage. Don't let the water hit them in the shower straight on, just let it roll over your shoulders to rinse and you'll dry up in about a month.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Lionyess- Shame on me? For giving advice? Once again, I have to say that I usually agree with you, and enjoy reading what you have to say, but you have no idea what this woman's situation is. You don't know why she is weaning. I also hate to see a mom led weaning, especially before a year, but you can't save everyone. I try to answer the question at hand, and not make the mom feel like garbage.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 15, 2009