Ethics question

So a year and a half ago a friend of mine (well I thought she was a friend) got a cell phone contract together. She gives me money I pay the bill. Anyways the last few months she has always been late and last month she ran up $120 in charges that took 40 days for her to pay (while i fronted bill money so it wouldnt get shut off) ANYWAYS she is pregnant and late AGAIN. I have sent her messages for a week now with no response. Its not like im asking for her half of the bill tomorrow (though it was due over a week ago) I just want to know when she is going to pay it. She has not even responded to a single message but is still using the phone. Do you think it's wrong to have teh line suspended until she at least tells me when she plans on paying it?

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• Don't you watch Judge Judy? This arrangement rarely works out. Cut her off ASAP and move on. She may be in a hard place, but she is using you and assuming you'll cover her.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• ugh I know I wanted to bail out months ago but couldnt afford to do so. It was a really stupid decision and thank god its almost over. Just wondering if anyone thinks its worng to cut off a pregnant womans only form of communication (aside from letters or wlaking ;p) to teh outside world)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I've seen this happen so many times...just don't put anyone on your plan anymore.
    Anonymous

• I'd suspend and when she calls and asks why the phone doesn't work I'd say "I assumed you must've lost it or it was stolen since you've not responded to any of my messages in so long". And I'd cancel the deal with her. Will be cheaper to just pay the bill (ours is $10 a month for extra line) than to pay for her to run it up so high.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 8:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• It's not wrong, if she needed to communicate she should be able to pay for it herself...she can buy her own prepaid phone, they're cheap.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• lisaann-her half is $50 which is a lot of money for our one income family with a special needs infant I'm pretty sure ill just take her to court for the remainder of the contract to cancel her line would be $200 plus the past due balance blugh what a mess. We got the plan a while ago when we were really "close" (she was runnign around back stabbing me at the time) I wasnt married and lived at home. Seemed liek a good idea... or not
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 8:14 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Suspend, suspend, suspend. The deal is, you're responsible for the whole bill regardless of if you suspend or not.... but the point is.... unless you're willing to donate that money to her every month, then you better do something now. And the final word is this..... you don't pay, you don't play. Have that line suspended! If she wants the pleasure of using a phone then she has to pay the bill.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Oh yeah..... no it's not wrong. Don't let anyone guilt you into letting her run up your bill.... unless of course you got her pregnant?? You didn't?...... well, then it's not your responsibility. You protect you first.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:26 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Teachermom, I would have said the same thing lol.
    Anonymous

• No, she is still a person, pregnant or not. She'll need to get her own contract. You are not under obligation to pay for her phone use.

Answer by Bmat at 8:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2009