My 14-year-old daughter wants to go to a friends house that lives over 100 miles away from home?

She wants to go to her friends house that I don't even know or know anything about. All I said was I don't know and then she starts throwing a big fit saying that I never let her do anything. What do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• For me, I would do the same thing I do now for my 4 year old daughter because that sure is how she's acting... She doesn't need to go anywhere when she acts like that, and that shows you she's not ready for something like this. You don't know her friend or her friend's parents, so she's not going... END OF STORY. You can offer for her to do other things or go out with her to the mall or do some other things that she likes to do so that you're not being totally unfair. But you need to know that you are 100% correct on this one and let her know that, She simply can't go...
    pbjmomi

Answer by pbjmomi at 4:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• ask her to get the parents phone number, and call and talk to them,s o you can get a feel for who they are. Maybe invite them over for dinner, or the girl over as much as possible so you get to know her. Ask a thousand and one questions about the family and get a phone number and address as to where she is going to be. i do this and i feel more at ease, and your kids won't despise you.
    bc61006

Answer by bc61006 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• tell her u must the girl parents. then talk to the mom and you will know what to say and do.
    keorn58

Answer by keorn58 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Its normal for kids to throw fits. I didn't do it often. I got whoopens. I learned from my mom that a parent does not have to explain every decision that they make. You don't know these people and that's that. Nothing else needs to be said. Do not feel guilty for being a good parent.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 4:44 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• That is way to far for her to go. Can you trust her has she went alittle far away say 30 miles? I'd test her like someone said for me to test my 13 year old
    peachies02

Answer by peachies02 at 8:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• How did she meet this friend? If it is someone she met on the internet it would be a definitive "NO!" It could be a predator. Even when it is in town I tell my girls they cannot go anywhere unless I talk to the parents. They will tell me of B-day parties or sleep-overs but I tell them "without an invite or me speaking to the parents, you will not go." If there is nothing "fishy" that she doesn't want you to know about she WILL let you speak to the parents of this other child. But my bet is either it is a boy or she thinks it is a female/male friend but is actually some nasty 40 yo man just waiting to hurt a young girl. How would a 14 yo meet another person 100 miles away? That is the question you need to be asking.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 12:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• Tell her NO, you are the mom your no needs no explination and leaves no room for questions.
    Plus it sounds fishy, I wouldnt let her go next door if i didnt know for sure who she was seeing, it could be someone you dont want her around or a boy!..or Date line.....be careful.
    georgesmommy31

Answer by georgesmommy31 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 28, 2008

• She's 14. NO!
    ToldUNo

Answer by ToldUNo at 2:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2008

• Tell her if she expects you to let her visit with friends that live so far away you must meet her friends, their parents, and see the home she is wanting to go to. Also, why don't you tell her you would not mind her friend coming and staying with her at your home for the weekend. Also, tell her that acting like a two year old makes it really hard for you to treat her like the young lady she is supposed to be becoming. LOL and BOL
    AnneZbeth

Answer by AnneZbeth at 12:09 AM on Jul. 4, 2008