Will this make things worst for us Here in the USA?

Mexico Media on High Alert After Drug-Gang Attack on Televisa

Editors at Televisa, the world's most popular Spanish-language network, were having a lively news meeting in the northern Mexico city of Monterrey when they heard a series of pops followed by a thunderous explosion. Running outside, the editors realized the top breaking news item had come straight to them. The pops were bullets sprayed from Kalashnikov automatic rifles directly into the faƇade of their offices. The blast was from a fragmentation grenade. Next to the debris was a message scrawled on cardboard: "Stop just broadcasting us. Also broadcast the narco politicians," it said.

Out of a record 5,300 deaths from beheadings, assassinations and massacres last year, eight of them were murdered Mexican journalists, making Mexico the most dangerous country for their trade in the hemisphere.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't see how this particular attack will directly affect us here inthe US, but the situation in Mexico is already affecting those who live near the border, and those who (would or do) visit Mexico for business or vacation. My sister's in-laws live just 15 miles from the border in Texas. They can't just move; they have a large cattle-ranch that they run there. Crime from Mexico is already happening in those towns. The border is far more porous than some people think! I also have an aunt and uncle who spend their winters in Mexico's Baja peninsula. They are there now, but we are concerned about them because this previously quiet area has also seen an increase in violence.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 12:18 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• YOUR QUESTION IS?
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 8:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• the question is do you think this will affect us here in the USA? what part of it you didn't underestand?
    Anonymous

• there's no need to be rude. she just didn't understand your question! what I want to know is how is it affecting us now?
    Anonymous

• Are you kidding? Do you understand the differences in America and Mexico? Are you working towards another "Keep the illegals out of our country" post?
    Anonymous

• What in the world does this have to do with illegals--I assume you mean illegal immigration? This occurred in Mexico City, long way from the US/Mexico border. I think if I were a journalist in Mexico right now, I'd start looking for a different job, and I don't think it will affect the UniotedStates in much of any way at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• how would this affect the us?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 3:18 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• continued...

A decrease in American business and vacation travel will hurt Mexico's already-struggling economy, resulting in more people desperate to make a living or just live somewhere they don't have to worry about being kidnapped or killed. Where will these people go? Yup, the US. In my opinion, as long as we provide a market for the drugs that come from or through Mexico, this problem will continue. We need to either stop using their drugs (any ideas how to accomplish this?) or legalize their use so the cartels will have no power. Just my opinion.
    yarnjunkie