Can cats' back claws be removed?

We have a cat who was declawed in her front paws before we adopted her. Last year we got a leather couch & well, she has put lots of scratches in it. Grrrr. I just can't keep her from jumping on it & putting her back claws in it. She stays indoors so she wouldn't need them for protection from other cats & animals, but I didn't know if they can be safely removed liked front ones can. It won't do anything for the existing scratches of course, but I was hoping to avoid further damage.

soccermom0002

Asked by soccermom0002 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pets

• Yes, you can get them declawed in the back. I have leather furniture and have the same issue. We clip the sharp points off them and I don't have scratch marks anymore. Since, I don't have an issue anymore I am not forking out the money. Good luck!
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 8:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Yes
    Anonymous

• They can... But you asking this is going to get a bunch of animal rights activist on your back...
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 8:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• tdeclawing is pretty much an American thing, it's something people do for their own convenience without realizing what actually happens to their beloved cat. In England declawing is termed "inhumane" and "unnecessary mutilation." I agree. In many European countries it is illegal. I applaud their attitude. Before you make the decision to declaw your cat, there are some important facts you should know. Declawing is not like a manicure. It is serious surgery. Your cat's claw is not a toenail. It is actually closely adhered to the bone. So closely adhered that to remove the claw, the last bone of your the cat's claw has to be removed.
    GmaPam7257

Answer by GmaPam7257 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• amputation of the last joint of your cat's "toes". When you envision that, it becomes clear why declawing is not a humane act. It is a painful surgery, with a painful recovery period. And remember that during the time of recuperation from the surgery your cat would still have to use its feet to walk, jump, and scratch in its litter box regardless of the pain it is experiencing.
    GmaPam7257

• No cat lover would doubt that cats--whose senses are much keener than ours--suffer pain. They may, however, hide it better. Not only are they proud, they instinctively know that they are at risk when in a weakened position, and by nature will attempt to hide it. But make no mistake. This is not a surgery to be taken lightly.

Your cat's body is perfectly designed to give it the grace, agility and beauty that is unique to felines. Its claws are an important part of this design. Amputating the important part of their anatomy that contains the claws drastically alters the conformation of their feet. The cat is also deprived of its primary means of defense, leaving it prey to predators if it ever escapes to the outdoors.
    GmaPam7257

Answer by GmaPam7257 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• For a list of countries in which declawing is either illegal, or considered extremely inhumane and only performed only under extreme circumstances, or for medical reasons, CLICK HERE.

Not yet convinced? Click Here for "The Truth about Declawing - Technical Facts."
    GmaPam7257

• Removing cats claws is comparable to having our fingers removed to the first joint. The older the cat is, the worse it is for them. I've always clipped and filed their claws and don't have any problems.

LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 9:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• You can have the back claws removed. If the cat is very old, I probably wouldn't. They make those new rotary files. Cutting them yourself can be dangerous. They can bleed out if you don't know what you are doing.

You do have some special provisions to go with the litter box, but I have had several cats and they have all come out of it fine. I have also tried scratching posts and the like. They don't work. My cats have always preferred my $1000 couches.
    Anonymous

• i woudn't recomend it. if your cat were to get outside it would have no defence whatsoever just make sure keep them cut short and they should be fine
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2009