Ferret or not to ferret?

My kids watched a show all about ferrets. They were like totally glued to the furry critter show. They have asked if we can get some. I said we have to wait until the youngest brother is at least 5, and they have to demonstrate that they have the ability to care for one. I have owned ferrets before kids and know how much care they require. Does anybody out there have ferrets and kids??? How do they get along?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pets

• Can't answer your question, but since you have had ferrets, may I ask if it is true that they will catch bugs and so are very useful this way?

Answer by Bmat at 8:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I used to have two when I was in college. They were my best buds since I didn't have a dog or cat. One was really good and was litter trained, but the other on was a little devil. He would get into everything. Even if they are de-scented (most are) they still have a small funky odor. I would get another one if my husband wouldn't get rid of it. They had a cage, but were never locked up. They had full range of the house, like a cat would. I just had to ferret proof my house.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i personally prefer chinchilla's because they are alot less smelly but need alot of time and care no water and they have to be handled gently
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Ferrets are sweet... however if you've already owned them you know that they need regular baths so that they don't smell musky. Although I don't have a ferret myself, my cousin had one and my kids had regular contact with him... perhaps it was because he was not used to kids, but we had to watch him with the kids because he would sometimes get a bit nippy with them. Can't blame him, they were about 3 and 18 mos and although they were closely supervised they would make sudden movements that would startle him. They are a little less exotic, but we just got our kids guinea pigs for Christmas and I love them... they are very cute, they will sit on the kids knees and allow themselves to be petted, and when we give them floor time they romp and jump around much like ferrets do!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:20 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I loved my ferrets but they are a lot of work and they smell...They are very social and thus they need to be kept in a room in the house where they can a lot of human contact. They need to be let out of their cages as often as possible and then they are hard to find..*laughs* They are like having little clowns in the house but they are indeed a lot of work. I would think twice about it until the kids are older and can help with the DAILY cage and litter cleaning as well as feeding, excercising and etc...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 11:46 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• We have Sugar Gliders and the kids love them maybe research them Good Luck

sunkist9

Answer by sunkist9 at 12:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I have a ferret.. my son is 6 years old and we have another one on the way due in March. My son loves the ferret and the ferret loves him.. he is always giving my son kisses it is too cute.. they are very demanding pets though.. you have to litter train them and interact with them alot to get them to be gentle.. same as you would a child.. that is what we think of ours.. he is a toddler that never grows up.. lol we have had him for about 2 years so got him with our son was 4.. he is litter trained( that is kinda hard to do) and our house is ferret proof.. you have to block off and little spot they can get into.. behind the fridge, entertainment center, etc because they will go anywhere.. and can fit through anything it seems!! But they are fun unique pets!! You should see if you can foster one from a local human society to see how your kids would do!!
    Anonymous

• Ferrets and kids get a long GREAT! Ferrets LOVE kids!
    However, ferrets do NOT get along with cats and dogs... unless they are raised together.

WARNING- Do NOT get a ferret from a pet-store. If the ferret has a dot tattooed on it's ear, it means it's a MARSHALLS ferret (think puppy farm) Marshalls abuses their ferrets terribly, because of the condition of their breeding facilities, and the fact that they force females to go into heat out of season, and have more litters than they're naturally meant to have, means EVERY ferret that comes out of Marshalls suffers serious ill effects down the road. I've had three, and it always ended bad. I didn't find out about Marshalls until it was too late.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Please don't support Marshalls. Don't get any of their ferrets, don't buy any of their ferret supplies or food. Go to an independent breeder if you want a quality ferret that won't suffer any serious illnesses or die before it's time.
    Marshalls will tell you the average lifespan of a ferret is 6-8 years. Not true. A ferret from an independent breeder can live to a ripe old age of 10-15 years.
    kimberleee382

Answer by kimberleee382 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• They are really fun critters, but they can be a lot of work. If they deside they don't want to be litter trained (some just don't like using a litter box) then they really stink and are a pain to clean up after. Mine used the litter box for the 1st 4 months after I got her, then she just desided not to use it any more. I cleaned in daily, so I'm not sure what her problem was?? Mine was okay with my son (3yrs old) but she did get nippy if my son didn't let her go when she wanted down.
    They stink too. I know that they are descented before you purchase them, but they have a bad still have a bad odor to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jan. 17, 2009