At what age can a kid eat seafood like octopus, mussels, squid. I would not give to my kids ages 10,8 and 7 but husband thinks it is fine?

Going through a divorce and I know husband bought just to bug me with this. I will not let them eat it but he thinks fine. I want to know ahead of time for my peace of mind if okay at that ages it is okay to eat. One I could ask doctor tomorrow or just put my foot down about it but then he will through a fit. But going through a divorce I have stopped on a few things and have gone down in a fight or should I just let him feed the girls this stuff? I mean if they get sick I will be the one to take care of them. I really need help on this and hope you can understand my question. I mean the only seafood they eat is fish sticks and mini shrimp. thanks

momindiana

Asked by momindiana at 11:13 AM on Jan. 29, 2012 in Food & Drink

• Should we guess why you are getting divorced... could you have been a bit of a control freak, or are you more about not letting your children out of bubble wrap.

This has got to be one of the pettiest issues. So what if they are at his house and get a cold???? what will you do then????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Jan. 29, 2012

• It is perfectly fine unless they have an allergy to seafood or shell fish. I worked at a restaurant and we sold all of the things you listed. My kids have regularly eaten those things since they were small. We have never had any problem.

Answer by gemgem at 11:16 AM on Jan. 29, 2012

• Like GemGem said, unless they are allergic it's fine.

I have never gone through a divorce so I wont even pretend to know what you're going through, but I feel like throughout the rest of your children's lives there will be disagreements and arguments and you need to pick your battles for your own sanity, and this is not a battle worth your time or energy.

cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:34 AM on Jan. 29, 2012

• It is totally fine unless they have an allergy.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2012

• Unless they have alregies. Their should not be an issue. Let this battle with your EX go.

Answer by louise2 at 11:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2012

• other than the personal ick factor (i would never eat that stuff but would not stop my kids if they wanted to try it) there is nothing wrong with them having it. they are plenty old enough. if the only seafood they have ever had is processed crap, there may be a slight allergy possibility (i have no idea if those are allergens, maybe someone else would know) but that would be the biggest issue.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 11:21 AM on Jan. 29, 2012

• It's fine. My 12 yo has been eating that type of stuff for years, he loves mussels.

Answer by missanc at 11:23 AM on Jan. 29, 2012

• Five

Answer by rkoloms at 11:23 AM on Jan. 29, 2012

• My kids have been eating calamari and clams since they were in kindergarten. They are definitely old enough.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 11:26 AM on Jan. 29, 2012

• My 4 year old has been eating squid and mussles, crawfish and basically all seafood since she was 2. So yes, it is perfectly fine. BUT, if they've never had it watch them for a reaction.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 29, 2012