Mattress, Vomit, Cleaning?????

I know that baking soda can eliminate odors, wich is all I have aside from bathroom and kithen cleaners. My question is how do I clean my mattress??? Unless you have any other ideas. I dont even have laundry detergent here :(

san-1

Asked by san-1 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Health

• Make a foamy solution of dish soap and use the foam to rub over the area with a damp cloth, trying not to let the water seep into the mattress. rinse and rinse with clean damp cloths. When you are satisfied that the mattress is clean, dry by putting dry towels on the area and standing on the area and pressing down with your feet using the weight of your body to dry it. You can also use a hair dryer, but I'd say get as much liquid out as you can with the towel method since that would also help absorb any material that you didn't get out.

Answer by Bmat at 9:08 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I wanted to add, if you put a waterproof mattress cover over the mattress it will eliminate this problem in the future. I use a zip up one that covers the whole mattress, mainly for allergies and partly to help control dust mites, but there are those that just cover the top of the mattress like a fitted sheet. I use a mattress cover, and cover that with a mattress pad- it is a quilted pad that also is most waterproof, and it keeps the sheets from being right on the mattress cover which is plastic, and so is more comfortable for sleeping on. If there is a continuing problem with vomit, etc, you may want to also put an old towel over the mattress pad.

Answer by Bmat at 9:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• you don't have detergent? buy a new matteress..
    Anonymous

• Anon 942...she wasn't asking what she should o...I'm sure she knows she could buy a new mattress...she wanted to know how to clean the one she has. And maybe she just ran out of detergent...happens to me once in a while...and it is winter, so maybe she can't get to the store because of snow.
    mandystenger

Answer by mandystenger at 3:34 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Thanks ladies for your help. And thanks mandystenger :)
    san-1

Answer by san-1 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 19, 2009