please help am i over reacting

Ok my son is now 6 months old and he was a NICU baby. He was 2 lbs when born and had cranial bleeding when born. Now he is at home and very health. My husbands father wants to baby sit my son over night and he lives about 7 miles from us. The problem is I think my son is to young to spend the night at someone's house with out me there ( because of all the problems he had when he was born.) Everyone is mad at me because i wont let anyone baby sit him over night. Also the babies grandpa (the one that wants to watch him) drinks heavily every night. about 12 beers and has had a stroke and cant lift anything over 10lbs (my son weighs 18lbs) I know i am his mother and it is my decision i just want to know what you all think. I am just scared that the baby will need something or something will happen and his grandpa will be passed out and not be able to take care of my son. what do you all think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:10 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• You are the mother and what you say goes. If they don't like it they can lump it!.

Anonymous

• I think you should go with your gut and not put your son in a situation where he could be in danger.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 9:11 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Go with your instincts. We won't let anyone except grandma sue--who is our pediatrician take our child over night. Not even our parents.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• No, you're definitely not over reacting, my FIL drinks very heavily, I mean he starts drinking at 9 in the morning and doesn't quit until he passes out and they smoke in the home and him and his wife always ask to keep our 6 month old but I hate that I have to be rude but that's my child, I do not want her in an environment like that, I mean, I enjoy the occasional beer or glass of wine but not all day every day...
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i agree with you. if hes not able to not have beers then thats no # 1 then to think if something happens to him whos gonna help him or the baby.. maybe if someone was gonna be there to help out and babysit him and baby but alone no. i would just say thank you and if you wanna see the baby stay over here. good luck hun. family needs to understand..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• He's 6 months old, I can't think of very many reasons that a mother would let someone keep their 6 month old overnight! Because you said so is good enough reason, but to be diplomatic just say that you want to wait until he gets a little older and sleeps through the night, blah, blah, blah.
    My daughter was over 2 before I let grandma and grandpa keep her overnight and I didn't have any issues with them. I think that my son was slightly younger than 2 when I let them have both of the kids, but by then my husband and I were ready to have some time to ourselves.
    There's just no way that I would let him go overnight either, I don't blame you and you are not over reacting at all.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• You are his mom and you know what is best for him. If other people don't like you're decision then that's too bad. I go through the same thing with my family but you know what, I don't care if they get mad or not, my job is to protect my little boy.
    Anonymous

• Thank you all so much. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being over protective of him. He is my first and we both almost died during delivery so I am very protective of him. but thank you all so much
    Anonymous

• I don't think they should be mad at you. When you are ready is your decision. Plus, if he cant lift over 10 lbs, how does he think that he will be able to give proper care.
    pammills352

Answer by pammills352 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• your baby...who cares what anyone thinks! i wouldnt tke my dd to relatives house when she was really little cuz they have young kids and i didnt want her getting their germs. my DH got mad and i told him he could go but i wasnt going to get my lil one sick...your baby, your decision
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 9:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2009