My sister want to stop breastfeeding becasue she has to take medication

and the doctor said she could no longer breastfeed with the medication. She has been breastfeeding for 3 months. What is the best way to stop producting milk ?

andrea86160

Asked by andrea86160 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• in her case just stopping nursing is probably the best way to go. She can get a medication from her doctor to help her dry up faster. Usually weaning out one feeding at a time is the most comfortable way to go but it sounds like that would be more of a hassle. I would just stop take lots of ibuprofen (because it will hurt for a little bit) and wear a nice fitting sports bra at all times. It'll be over in a couple days (2-3 faster if she gets medicine)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:22 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• MOST medications are safe while Bfing and if they aren't there are alternatives, if she wants to keep breastfeeding have her check out the med here
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/index.html
    http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT
    MOST doctors will say that a med is not safe to cover their BUTTS...I was told a medication actually given to infants was not safe...duh....either way my LC and those lists say its safe, never trust a doctor about BFing info, a LC is the one to ask.
    There is NO medication from a doctor to help dry up faster..its been outlawed it killed women, no tight fitting stuff it causes infections....sage teas and pills are the fastest and safest way to dry milk up fast...though I think unless she has cancer she doesn't need to wean at all...
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I haven't personally tried it; but I was told (by several moms) to place cold cabbage in your bra (cut out an opening for the nipple to prevent rubbing). Within a day or so the supply should stop. other than that; cold and compression.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:21 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• If you wouldn't mind telling me the name of the medication, I have Dr. Hale's book, Medications and Mothers' Milk. I could give you all the info on the drug and any safer alternatives.

If she's not interested in continuing to breastfeed, the best way to wean is to drop one feeding per week until done.

If this drug needs to be started asap, she will likely have painful engorgement for a few days, which can be relieved with Motrin and cold cabbage leaves in her bra.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:29 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• To add, as tabi cat said, many many physicians do NOT know what is and isn't safe, so they just say that nothing is safe. LC's and LLLeaders DO know these things, as well as Dr. Hale, whose word I take as gold.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2009