How would you answer the question?

So my son (about to turn 5) asked his father the other day, "where do babies come from?" Now he knows that he came out of my vagina, but his cousin came out his aunts tummy (she had a c-section). But what he really wanted to know, is how did the baby get in there. So my husband (I was working at the time) told him that the daddies sperm goes inside the mommies egg, and a baby starts to grow. So my son asked how does the daddies sperm get inside the mommy. My husband told him that daddy puts his penis inside mommies vagina, and the sperm is ejaculated. So my son says, "Eww, gross. Why would you do that!" My hubby said, "Well to make a baby!".

How would you have answered?

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 9:27 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I can't answer your question because as of right now I am actively avoiding ever explaining this to my 2 children. My head is quite comfortable in the sand.
    Kimeley

Answer by Kimeley at 9:32 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• well I have a few children already and I just told them the truth and they are 8 and 4. they know they come out of vajays and that we do bleed afterwards. tell the truth that is all.
    Anonymous

• NO!! he shouldn't of said put the dick inside the vigina.. come on!! he is 5!! .. alittle detail but that was overdoing it.
    three-for-now

Answer by three-for-now at 9:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Simple. I say, "God, put the baby there"..they never ask anything else.Plus, It isn't a lie!
    sydsmom2

Answer by sydsmom2 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Wow, I can't even imagine telling my 5 year old that they came out of my vagina (if they had, I had all c-sections so I guess I never will have to). I guess if he's old enough to process that info that what his daddy told him was OK. But it seems a little young to me... IMO
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• We were led to believe that women just became pregnant one day . . . that the seed was already in mommy's belly and one day it just started growing.

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I probably would have avoided the "with his penis" and left it as "daddy puts it there" but whatever, you answered it honestly. I think "to put a baby there" is a perfect answer.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I know my husband would have told the truth maybe not in great detail though. The truth is always better, I think. Me I would probably bury my head in the sand like Kimeley said.
    JD08

Answer by JD08 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I have never heard of a child being destroyed by finding out about sex too early. My theory is that if he's old enough to ask he's old enough for the answer. How you answer it is your business :).

Cute story: My mother believed in telling us the proper names for our body parts. My brother was a curious kid so he started asking early, probably around 4 years old. So she told him what he had and what girls had. The next day she over heard him in the sand box with his friends saying "Jay and I both have a penis, but Kimmy doesn't have one because Kimmy's is in China."
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:10 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Well my sons have always called their parts by their names. They say penis, and testicles when referring to that area. And when my second son was born, my oldest (who asked the question) was 2, and he asked how the baby got out of my tummy, and I told him it came out of my vagina. So that is how he already knew that part of it. I don't think that my husband went into too much detail. My son was curious, and now that he knows, he hasn't spoken about it again. But when he gets older, and has more questions, he wont be embarrassed or ashamed to come and talk to us.

And the whole, God put the baby there, wouldn't work for us, we are an atheist family, so we find that stating the facts (as we know them) to be the better way to go.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 11:04 PM on Jan. 15, 2009