• In the Spotlight:

who do i believe doc or midwife?

So i was in the hospital and this midwife who said he has been a midwife for 30 years checked my cervix and said it was "halfway thinned" then a week later i went to my doctor and he said I was still closed and long (not sure how long he has been ob doc he looks about 45) but anyway, who do I believe? im a first time mom 36 weeks pregnant. baby is weighing bigger though by 3 weeks. either way what do you think??????/

babybump3166

Asked by babybump3166 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I personally see midwife and DR. I have currently more faith in the midwife, she has always been very honest with me and told me everything. The DR. gives me info. when I ask or only sometimes when I think he has time.
    MommyPeck3

Answer by MommyPeck3 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Why not believe them both? Perhaps the doctor considers "halfway thinned" to still be closed?
    Anonymous

• cervix thinning out, and cervix being opened aren't necessarily the same thing. You cervix could be thinning but still closed you know? Does that make sense?

I tend to not trust OB's though..
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:53 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• My first and second pregnancy I had the docs, but my 3rd I went with a midwife. I thought they were all informative, but I preferred the midwifes. We just had a better match personality wise. Usually before your cervix opens it thins out. Once it has thinned out (efaced) then it will open (dialate). Also keep in mind that docs and midwifes check you with their fingers and not all fingers are the same. So there will be a little variation between the two.
    TrevHuntersMom

Answer by TrevHuntersMom at 9:57 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• they both cant be right because doctor said it was still long and she sad half way thin.
    babybump3166

Answer by babybump3166 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2009