Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

BAH and Separation.

My husband is a Staff Sergent 10 years in. I was told I get a portion of that? Anyone?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Jan. 29, 2012 in Military

Answers (11)
  • When you say separation do you mean that he is deployed and you are talking about seperation pay or are you talking about you and your husband separating/divorce? If it is the first, you will have to wait until he has been gone for 30 days before you will receive seperation pay. If it is the latter, then yes you will receive a portion of his BAH until you are officially divorced. I strongly suggest speaking with a lawyer.

    Answer by JeremysMom at 8:41 PM on Jan. 29, 2012

  • No he's not deployed he wants a divorce. We ar bases in Va and have to be separated for a year before that can happen. I was just wondering how much I would get.


    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Jan. 29, 2012

  • I found this website that might be helpful.

    Answer by JeremysMom at 9:12 PM on Jan. 29, 2012

  • Yes. I was only married for 4 years and they told me I would get a fifth of his retirement.

    Answer by jucyfrut at 8:33 AM on Feb. 1, 2012

  • You are best to discuss with an attorney and not CM.. As it depends on the circumstances. I know of women who are proven guilty of infidelity and they received nothing (were married for 5 years)..  So, it depends on the circumstances.


    Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:29 PM on Feb. 1, 2012

  • grlygrlz2, thank you for your comment but I was only asking about BAH and what I would get. I have also made appt to see a laywer. I just wanted to clear up that I was just asking about BAH so no need to get snippy with me. This could happen to you also. I never thought it would to me. I was like you commenting on the same issues then BAm!! He left. So don't be rude.

    To the others thank you!!!!

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:11 PM on Feb. 1, 2012

  • Army Regulation 608-00 covers family support.

    Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 3, 2012

  • I think if you are married for 10 years you get some benefits. Otherwise to my knowledge you get only child support. He could move onto on post housing and lose BAH so it would not make sense to be able to divide that up. My advice is go to a separation briefing and they will let you know all the details.

    my friend just got divorced and she had to chose child support or live in the house that they bought and he would pay for it.. Also my husband who has been in for almost 12 years say you have to be married for 10 to get any benefits. You may be able to get alimony if you do not work.

    Answer by NaiveDream at 5:08 PM on Feb. 11, 2012

  • If there are children and you all end up with joint legal and he needs to live on base to house the children, then you wouldn't qualify to receive any of his BAH, since he wouldn't actually be receiving any of it. BAH is only actually paid if he doesn't live on base and has dependents. Even if he lives out in town, I don't know if you could get it if he is living somewhere the children also live for part of the time. My DH's BAH has never been touched by his ex wife, even when they were separated because his house out in town was being rented to provide shelter for his daughter during his parenting time.

    The "general" rule of thumb with the military is that you get a portion of benefits if you are simultaneously married for 10 years that they are in service, not just married 10 years or just them in the service for 10 years.

    Answer by laird6372 at 11:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2012

  • Yes if he is recieving BAH and u guys are separated he is "supposed to" give you partial of it.
    Now amount depends on what all you have to pay for.
    And if he doesn't give you partial of his BAH like he is supposed to and if they find out he can get in serious trouble.
    My DH is a MP so he know a lot about it. Now I would give u more info if he wasn't
    But it is prolly better to ask your lawyer as well that way everything is documented at the same time. :)
    Good luck

    Answer by usmcwife.mommy2 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 18, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.