a five year old has adhd

my five year hasdaughter has adhd and me and my husband thanks are 2year old has it two how can you tell if it is it your just being two my daughter we found out when she was 3 years old i am just asking about it

melissaw611

Asked by melissaw611 at 10:07 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• can you make your question a little more clear. The words are jumbled and hard to understand.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:09 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• what in the world are you saying??
    Anonymous

• Your children are extremely young to be diagnosed with ADHD. Children need structure with a routine, stimulating activities, very limited TV time and lots of interaction with you. I would be very leary of a doctor that would diagnose a child as young as yours with ADHD.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 12:21 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My ds was diagnosed with ADHD as a toddler. His was a very extreme case, and he was evaluated by several Drs. It's a misconception that this is something that only older kids "get". You are born with it, but it's usually not caught until a child is in school. HOWEVER - there are a LOT of kids walking around that have been diagnosed with ADHD or ADD that are not. They're bored, they have dietary problems, or they're simply being kids and their parents don't want to deal with them.

I would suggest talking to a behavioral specialist, and possibly a developmental specialist and see what they have to say.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:15 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• btw - we did use meds, as well as diet modification (while he had problems all the time, some foods / food additives made it worse) and behavior modification techniques. The meds weren't used as a crutch, nor was his ADHD allowed to excuse unacceptable behaviors.

What we did was use them as a way to break into his cycle enough that we could get his attention enough to teach him age appropriate behavioral control, and how to channel his ADHD in a productive way. Now he's a 16 yr old honor student, involved in sports and scouts, he's well mannered (usually), and has a good and varied group of friends. He's also been meds free for almost 10 yrs now.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:19 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Um...I think you're saying your 5 year old daughter has an ADHD diagnosis and you think your 2 year old has it too.

It's possible, but very hard do diagnose at such an early age. Because there is a family history (the older daughter) I would go ahead and have the 2 year old evaluated.

My 4 year old is currently under evaluation for possible Asperger's and/or ADHD. His psychologist told us that he will not give any diagnosis this young unless there is extreme behavior. It is possible in younger children...but not common.

I agree with sailorwife....speak to your developmental pediatrician.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:10 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Translation? (I think)

A five year old has ADHD

My five year old daughter has ADHD. My husband and I think our 2 year old has it too. How can you tell if it is it just "being two years old"? With my older daughter we found out when she was 3 years old. I am just asking about it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:43 AM on Jan. 16, 2009