• In the Spotlight:

I'm in gender shock. It's a boy? Say what?!

My daugher is almost 16 months old. My entire family is girls. My fiance's entire family is girls (except for him, of course). I really only ever expected to have another girl, so I was shocked to find out today that I'm having a boy! A boy? Really?! Now I'm scared. My questions are: how are boys different or the same as girls? How do I have to change? Is it normal to feel shocked and anxious about the gender of your baby? What are the overwhelmingly wonderful reasons I should be super excited that I'm having a boy now? Mommas, give me your feedback.

laadeedah

Asked by laadeedah at 10:33 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• Congratulations and remember - boys and girls are all individuals! He'll be different from other boys just as your daughter is different from other girls - everything else is just a guideline!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I felt similar when I found out my second was a boy. I'd had a feeling, but was hoping for a girl. Well, that boy is 17 months of pure happiness! There's nothing you need to change about yourself or the way you parent. It is normal to feel overwhelmed and shocked, and it will soon pass. I think you will love being a mom to a girl and a boy.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• just some of the reasons i read from the book "mother to son"
    1. realize that your son will love you more intensely than anyone or anything else in the world.
    2. at times, you will be blown away by the depth of your love for him.
    3. realize that from day one, he's wired to be self-reliant. don't change that.
    4. note that his idols will always be boys five years older than he is.
    5. try as you might, you can't shield him from life.
    i heard baby boys are more difficult to raise, but he'll be a great help just like his daddy. congrats on having a boy ! i think it's wonderful.
    KaydensMom99

Answer by KaydensMom99 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Actually my family has a lot of girls too and i have a son. And he is soooo easy but i think thats his own personality. A lot of people are amazed how good he is. He is like me i guess i was a very mellow baby. Though i have heard boys are easier. i think its just depends on their personality. My son could sit in his play pen and look at a baby book for 15mins without a peep! I watch him and laugh its so CUTE! (he also does that with my cell phone to pushing buttons lol)
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 10:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I'm a mom of 3 awesome boys, 12, 6 and 5 , just like with your daughter, it will come natural with your new baby boy...
    cheryl4martin

Answer by cheryl4martin at 11:28 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• A few observations I've made over the years about boys -

1. Contrary to the stereotypes, boys are more emotionally wired than girls are. I don't know why this is, but they are. My sons are the ones who yell and holler "MAMA!" when I pick them up from school, my daughters barely look up from their conversations with friends.

2. I've learned FAR more from my boys than my girls. I already knew the names of Barbie's little sisters, being a girl and all. But now I know the names of OH so many Star Wars characters and Superheroes! Oh the wonderful things I know now! LOL

3. Being the mother of boys has kept me on my toes, but it's also taken my heart. My little men hold it in their grubby little fingers and play it like a harp.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• why do you have to change? Out of my three kids my son is the easier one. Every child is different and you have to take that into account. My two girls couldn't be the polar opposites if I tried. Boys are great as well as girls.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I have a boy and girl and yes they are different. However my son is alot laid back as opposed to my daughter who has to be paid attention to at all times. Let me talk I want to talk my son just sits there and gives her her way. She is 4 years younger but bosses him around like she's a parent. He's laid back and quiet. We don't ever hear to much from him. Give him his Laptop and Xbox 360 and he's alright.
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 9:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• In my family, it always goes girl first, then boy. So yeah, i CRIED when i found out my first had a penis! And we just knew #2 was a girl, but nope, another boy. With the first, i was afraid i didn't know how to be a "boys mom". But he came into my life and I have loved every minute! The 2nd one was even easier to deal with cause, hey, i knew what to do with boys now. Since i don't have a girl, i don't know the difference. I can say that having boys is tons of fun! And since we are a liberal family, my boys like to "put on makeup" when they see mommy do it (they just like the feeling of the brushes) and they play "daddy" with their bears. So i don't think i'm missing too much. Plus, its nice being the woman of the house. They go to "guy things" and i get time to myself.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 4:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I feel that girls are a little better at playing with 'something' for a long period of time, where boys don't. And boys get hurt more often. But, of course, everyone is different, including children.
    McGregor

Answer by McGregor at 8:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2009