will i not know?

i feel like i wont know when i am having contractions to go into labor. ive been having braxton hicks for a while then i was in the hospital for pre term labor. i got a shot and they stopped it but i didnt even know i was having contractions. this was a while ago and ive had them since then but what i thought were contractions i was having and feeling, they said i didnt have ANY... im so confused....

what exact pains did you feel? when your started labor

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:35 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had the same question as you. People always told me, "Trust me you'll know." But, I was having pretty sever BH's and to me, I thought, "Is this it." This is how I knew. I was cramping, what felt like pretty bad menstrual cramps so I took a shower and got ready for bed. I was on my way to the bedroom and I had a contraction (a real contraction) and it hurt sooo bad that I actually fell to my knees and couldn't really talk. They are much more painful and different feeling. It is a very deep pain. Your body will tell you when you are truly having them. There will be absolutely no questioning of it. When I had this first real contraction, I thought, "Holy Crap!!!! This is IT!"
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 10:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• One way my midwife told me I would know I was having a contraction was I wouldn't be able to push my fingers into my belly- it would be extra hard. I thought my belly already felt hard so I wasn't sure if it was true, but sure enough when I started getting real contractions, my belly was solid. Hope that helps
    Mindy418

Answer by Mindy418 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• trust me you will know! i was the same way constantly unsure but when they came boy did i know! its odd, you cant explain it..but you will know
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 10:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I was induced but before they gave me petocin, i was having little contractions. I had painful BHs when I did have them, and there is DEFINITELY a difference!!! I can't really describe them, except for the cliche "you will know". They're damn near paralyzing.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 10:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• i mean... like what did you feel? pain where? what type of pain?

these are all really good answers definitely though :)
    Anonymous

• When the contractions (painful or not) are becoming frequent and timable start to keep track. Most women have to start to work really hard to cope through.

I suggest finding a birth doula to help you know when it's time, in person, in your home. She will provide SO MUCH more, too.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• are doulas covered by insurance bychance? or do you pay for them out of pocket? and about how much?
    Anonymous

• Doulas are not covered by insurance... but we generally charge between $300 to $800 depending on the Doula. A lot of us are willing to work on a sliding scale for low income mothers and teen or military mothers. A lot of us also do payment plans before the 38th week if necessary.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 11:01 PM on Jan. 15, 2009